One Minute Muffin

How did the Almond Flour making turn out? Are you ready to make a healthy, low-carb, gluten-free, bread/bun/muffin that tastes wonderful and doesn’t send your blood sugar to the moon and back? Then let me present to you the One Minute Muffin.

I did not invent this recipe. It has been passed around over and over again on the Low Carb Friends message board. There are many variations, tips & tricks that have been shared over the years. I did a quick search on the board and came up with this. You can make this savory or sweet, add cinnamon, cocoa powder, non-caloric sweetener, add herbs & spices. The possibilities are endless.

My basic recipe is a starting point for a simple and savory gluten-free, low-carb bread replacement. Split it in half and you’ve got a bun for your burger. Toast it and you won’t miss your high-carb English muffin. Stuff it with some turkey, mayo and lettuce and you’ve got a healthy sandwich. The possibilities are up to your imagination.

One Minute Muffin

Printable Recipe

Prep Time: 3 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Minute
Servings: 1

1. Melt butter in a 4-inch (8 oz.) ramekin.
  2. Whisk egg and then slowly drizzle in the melted butter.
  3. To the egg and butter add almond flour, flaxseed meal and salt. Mix well with a spoon.
  4. Sprinkle with baking powder and mix one more time.
  5. Spoon into ramekin and microwave for one minute.
  6. Remove from microwave with dish towel and invert on a cooling rack.
  7. Once cool, split in half and enjoy!

Recipe Notes

For those of you who don’t have a microwave or limit microwave use, this can be baked in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. You’ll have to rename the recipe though (wink, wink). While I use homemade almond flour in this recipe, it will still work with store-bought brands.

One Minute Muffins Variations
Keeping your pantry (I mean your refrigerator, as almond flour should be stored there) stocked with almond flour opens a new door into the world of low-carb, gluten-free, sugar-free baking. Just about any recipe that has processed white/wheat flour can be healthified with a little creativity.
For a Nut-Free version of the One Minute Muffin, click HERE!

Comments

1. Shauna says

For those wondering, here’s what I came up with for stats on the one minute muffin:
    Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Calories: 360.9
    Total Fat: 30.3 g
    Cholesterol: 200.3 mg
    Sodium: 322.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 9.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
    Protein: 16.3 g

• Vanessa says

Thanks Shauna…I came up with different calculations

Using Almond Flour: 305 calories = 26 g fat 7 g carbs 5g fiber 13g protein
      Using Coconut Flour: 193 calories = 15 g fat 7g carbs 5g fiber 9g protein

Net Carbs for both versions = 2 g

2. Tevana B says

Hi Vanessa,

Is there anything I can use as substitute for the flax meal? I have a hard time with the taste of the flax. I LOVE the almond thins and endurance crackers, but just can’t abide the chia flax crackers. :) Your website is amazing!

Thanks!
    Tevana

3. Joshua L says

I noticed my muffins dont turn out quite like yours. Then when I re-read your recipe I noted it called for “Golden” Flax seed meal, and I had bought the non-golden one apprently. Might be the funny taste the OP might have mentioned? As I too noted a particular taste with the flax seed, then again it could just be me adjusted to a flourless lifestlye :-)

4. Danielle says

To save time, I line up a week’s worth of little baggies. Into each I add the dry ingredients (almond flour, flax meal, salt, baking powder) and tie them off and store them in the fridge. In the morning, I nuke the Tbsp of butter in a ramekin until melted, add a bag of dry mix and an egg and stir. Then nuke it for one minute. Fast and easy. I buy golden flax seeds at my health store co-op and grind them in a coffee grinder.

5. Beverly says

Yours is my new favorite blog. I have very similar beliefs on so many counts. Thank you for so many wonderful recipes–what a blessing your work is for so many seeking total health!

6. stephanie says

Hello
    Love this recipe and cant wait to try!! Just wondering could I replace the almond flour for sunflower seed flour instead….I have a child who cant have nuts??
    Thanks

7. Eric says

Hrmm. Mine ended up looking different and not as fluffy as yours… still it tasted great and i’m definitely going to make this more often! Maybe I should try pre-mixing the flaxseed meal, coconut flour, and baking powder next time.

8. Serena says

I’d seen flax one minute muffins elsewhere, and thought them all disgusting. For some bizarre reason, I never thought of tweaking it. I’ve been having a sandwich every day for a week now. I have to thank you Vanessa for reminding me I can think outside the box. My personal fave version is:
    1 tsp butter
    1 egg
    3 tbps almond flour
    1 tbsp chick pea flour
    1 tsp psyllium seed husk powder
    1 tsp coconut flour.

Little higher on the carb scale, and it has legumes, but I love it.

You can try using chia seed meal. Take chia seeds and grind into a meal using a small coffee grinder.

• Tevana says

I lost stem in the quest to grind up chia seeds and decided to just add some extra almond flour to the mix & I think it turns out fine. I am not a fan of flax. :)

9. Anna says

Hey Vanessa!
    Is there anything i can substitute the egg with…?
    I also did an IGG test and I’m intolerant to gluten, ALL dairy and eggs…:-(
    x

• Mattiej says

Flax can be substituted for the egg! If you read on the Bobs Red Mill Flax pkg, you can substitute flax for eggs! I have done it before! Check it out! AND instead of the flours of any kind I have substituted a scoop of Vanilla Whey Protein Powder! 25 grams/scp! So you cut a little fat and add a lot more protein! They are yummy with a hint of cinnamon!

10. Ange says

Hi. I just found your site today on facebook. I totally love and live most of what you are posting. On the sugar issue, I think the reason people use raw honey and the other raw stuff is because they are the least processed, whereas xylitol and agave seem to be more processed. We were definitely created to eat fruit so if the raw sugars are more like fruit in your body, I see no harm in using a little. I agree it is highly addictive. I like your bread recipe but was shocked and surprised to read that you microwave it. Here are some helpful reasons not to: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx and http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/03/the-microwave-why-you-should-avoid-it-and-other-options.html, So I was wondering if you have a different way to cook it and maybe more than just one at a time? Thank you.

11. Jenny Turek says

I have pulled pork going in the slow cooker right now… and I was wondering how I should eat it.. I think I’m gonna make one of these to have it as a sandwich.

12. Jalynne says

Sooooo glad I found this recipe (and all its versions)! Thank you! Since I am almost always cooking only for myself I love that I’m able to make only as many of these as I need and don’t have to worry about a whole loaf of bread spoiling on me. It was a wee bit dry for me but slathering on the homemade mayo sure did help. :)

And I’m totally going to baggie up the dry ingredients as a previous commenter suggested so I can whip these up in a flash! Finally I can have a decent fried egg sandwich again! :)

All that being said, can you make more than one at a time in the microwave? Or is it better to cook them individually? And if I want a less flax-y flavor, can I just cut back the flax to 1T? Do I need to substitute something for it? Thanks in advance!

Hi Jalynne, are you using golden flaxseed meal? I find that this has really no flavor or at least not like the regular flax. I would not make more than one at a time in the microwave. You can bake them in the oven as well, they just don’t rise as much.

• Jalynne says

Yep, it’s golden. Maybe I’m tasting something else? Made it with half the flax the other day and the flavor didn’t really change, so it must be me!

Any suggestions on making it a bit more moist? Less flour? Add water/milk?

• tevanab says

Jalynne, I can’t abide the flavor of any kind of flax. It just screams fish at me. I don’t use any flax & add more almond meal. I’m not sure if mine taste any different, but it works for me. I hope this helps!

tevana

• Jalynne says

Fish? Interesting. I switched to using almond flour (was using coconut flour) and added just a bit more butter; wasn’t as dry! Got a little greasy after all the squeezing and manhandling but it was a definite improvement! (And who minds licking a little butter off of their fingers, anyway?) :)

13. Heather says

I just took mine out of the oven :) I made it for my husband’s turkey burger lunch (using your baked burger recipe!). I used coconut oil, added a bit of honey & sprinkled parsley on top. It looks so pretty! Can’t comment on the taste, yet, since it’s not for me!

14. David says

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for sharing all of those recipes with us.

Somehow my muffins never quite make it out of the ramekin looking symmetrical. They raise unevenly during the 1 minute cook. I get things that look like hats, which is convenient cause I get to fill the cavity with all sorts of things but it is still something that limits their use as English muffins. Do you think this could be to a low end microwave oven (it rotates so I doubt that but maybe not enough power?700W max I believe though). Also, should I butter the ramekin? I think I did once and I do not think it mattered but could try again.

Being sugar and gluten free is easier now. I need to thank you for that.

Cheers!

15. Kathryn says

I just made a gingerbread muffin! It is gluten free, and that’s all that matters to me. I used only flax, but I added molasses which enriched the flavor. Don’t mind the flax at all. Melted butter, whisked in the egg, added a good dollop of molasses, some cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, ground flax, and baking powder. I was really craving gingerbread as the rice flour substitute failed to please. This muffin was fantastic! Super moist and delicious.

16. Elle says

WOW!! I’ve been low-carbing for a while now, and I have to say this is not only the best “mug cake” sort of thing I have had (and I have had a lot!), but it also is by far the closest thing to bread ever! And I am German, so I sure do miss my bread A LOT… ;) I was actually able to slice my muffin into 3 pieces (used regular flax meal and coconut flour), topped one with butter, serrano ham, egg, tomato and fresh basil, and had the other 2 pieces with more butter :) and your delicious blueberry chia jam I finally got around to making yesterday. (BTW, I added a hint of vanilla to that and it tastes divine!)
    Love your recipes, Vanessa! So quick and easy, yet absolutely delicious! Thank you so much!

• Elle says

Since I love this recipe so much and am constantly short on time, I decided to try and make a loaf of bread out of it. And it turned out beautifully!! I simply multiplied all the ingredients by five (using coconut flour and regular flax meal), added a tsp of apple cider vinegar and baked it at 325 degrees in a small loaf pan for 35 minutes. Wonderful!