Do a quick Google search for “weaved bacon” and you will most likely land on something called a “fatty” or “fattie”, which is bacon wrapped, barbecue smoked, sausage. We don’t have a smoker and rarely buy sausage, so instead, I make a cheeseburger bacon roll. A cross between meatloaf and a cheeseburger, this modified fatty does not disappoint. It slices like meatloaf and dresses like a burger, with ketchup, mustard, mayo and pickles. It looks beautiful and tastes wonderful!
If you are squeamish about playing with your food this will really “squeam” you out! You will be weaving bacon, squishing ground beef between your fingers and rolling it all up in a log. By getting your hands a little dirty, you are making a trade-off. There’s no messy grease splattered stove to clean or cast-iron skillet to scrub. Let the oven do the work. However, if you are like me and want to photograph every step, there is a lot of hand washing in between.
The first step to making a cheeseburger bacon roll is weaving the bacon. The key to a good roll, is a tight weave. It is really quite simple, and I photographed each step. Follow them and you will have the perfect weave.
In the photos, I used 26 oz. of ground beef and a 6×6 bacon weave. You can use between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of beef to 12 pieces of bacon. If you want to make a roll with a pound of beef, use 10 slices of bacon. And if you are wondering, 26 oz. of meat breaks down to 6 oz each for myself and the two boys and 8 oz. for Tom.
Cheeseburger Bacon Roll
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
- 12 Slices Uncured Organic Bacon (Nitrite/Nitrate Free)
- 1 1/2 – 2lbs. Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 6 oz. Organic Cheddar Cheese (sliced or shredded, although shredded is best)
- 2 Tbsp. Penzey’s Italian Sausage Seasoning (can sub with any favorite burger seasoning)
1. Follow the pictorial above and make a 6×6 bacon weave.
2. In a bowl, mix up ground beef with 2 Tbsp. Italian sausage seasoning.
3. Make one large patty, the size of the bacon weave.
4. Cover the patty with cheese (shredded cheese works best) and then roll into a log.
5. Set the cheeseburger roll on the bacon weave at a diagonal and roll.
6. Line jelly roll pan with foil and set a baking rack in the pan. Place cheeseburger roll on rack.
7. Bake at 400°F for 50-60 minutes or until internal temp is 165°F.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes then slice into 1 1/2-2 inch slices.
9. Serve with a side of veggies and enjoy!