This fall I came up with a pumpkin muffin recipe, using coconut flour, that was divine. And each time I made it, I was reminded of my mother’s spice bread. With a little tweaking I thought I could get a little closer to the taste of tradition of my childhood memories. The spice bread appeal as a kid, was the red, green and white gumdrops, as an adult it’s the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. My mother also added walnuts and dates and used applesauce to keep it moist.
In giving this recipe a healthy makeover, I knew I would have to forgo the gumdrops. I skipped the dates as well as the walnuts (although they both could be added) and used pumpkin instead of applesauce. The result was very reminiscent of the gumdrop spice bread I remember.
I may play with this recipe a little more, or maybe not, but either way the result was a very moist and dense spice bread that was worthy of gift giving. And best of all it is healthy, gluten-free, low-carb and low-sugar. Not completely sugar-free as I used a touch of molasses to give it a little brown sugar flavor.
Unlike refined white sugar, which has been stripped of almost all nutrients, unsulphured blackstrap molasses is a good source of calcium, iron, copper, manganese, potassium and magnesium.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Makes 1 Mini-Loaf
- 1/4 c. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
- 1/4 c. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Pinches Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Ginger
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 56 drops NuNaturals Pure Liquid Vanilla Stevia (sweetening power of about 1/4 c. sugar)
- 2 Large Organic Cage-Free Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Butter, Melted
- 1/2 c. Fig Food Co. Organic Pumpkin or Organic Unsweetened Applesauce*
- 1 tsp. Organic Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
Optional Add Ins
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Date, Chopped*
*Using these ingredients will increase the amount of carbohydrates in this recipe.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, with electric beaters on medium speed, mix together wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into greased mini-loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.