Detox Bath: Why and How

Detox Bath

A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies we can do to facilitate our body’s natural detoxification system.

In this day and age, our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever.

Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Toxins cause irritation, harm and destruction in the body if left unchecked.

Detoxification is the body’s way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. However, the capacity of the body’s detoxification process is not endless.

A detox bath encourages the body to efficiently flush out toxins.

Our toxic burden is a result of the toxins we are exposed to and our body’s ability to naturally detox. The more toxins we are exposed to, the harder the body has to work at eliminating these toxins.

The list of toxins that could potentially harm our bodies is almost endless; many start their day with a hot shower, the water is contaminated with pollutants, the soap and shampoo is full of chemicals, the toothpaste has fluoride, from there we may have breakfast where the food has been treated with pesticides or even genetically modified.

We haven’t even left our house, yet we have been exposed to toxins that can potentially cause ill-health.

Even more alarming is our exposure to toxic substances is on the rise:

• 2,100 toxins, including pesticides, herbicides, PCBs, and medications have been found in our water supply
  • 80,000 metric tons of carcinogens are released into the air annually in North America
  • Over 80% of food have genetically modified ingredients
  • The EPA estimates the average US citizen has residues from over 400 toxic compounds in their body
  • 82,000 chemicals are in use today in the US, but only a fourth have ever been tested for toxicity

While it is impossible to abolish our exposure to all toxins, we can reduce unnecessary exposure, as well as improve our body’s efficiency and ability to eliminate them.

Taking a detox bath, not only boosts our health and well-being, but it also strengthens our immune system and prevents disease.

When metabolic waste from toxins builds up in our body, we get sick. Functional medicine expert, Dr. Mark Hyman, puts it this way, “problems with detoxification is one root of illness. If you feel lousy, it’s likely you’re toxic.”

It is important to enhance our body’s ability to detoxify and get rid of the waste, meanwhile minimizing our exposure to toxins. This is imperative for excellent health, as many of today’s modern diseases are related to toxicity.

The liver removes toxins and metabolic waste from the body by converting them to water-soluble compounds.

Once water-soluble they can be eliminated from the body through urine. Some waste products are not water-soluble and are transformed by the liver and excreted in the bile. The bile is then transported to the intestines where it exits the body through our bowels.

Toxins not eliminated or completely removed by either of these processes may be eliminated through our skin via our sweat.

A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies that can be done to facilitate and enhance our body’s natural detoxification process.

Typically, a detox bath is made with Epsom salt also known as magnesium sulfate, which not only draws out toxins, but has health benefits of its own:

• Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
  • Help muscles and nerves function properly
  • Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
  • Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
  • Make insulin more effective
  • Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
  • Improve oxygen use
  • Flush toxins
  • Improve absorption of nutrients
  • Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
  • Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

Detox Bath | healthylivinghowto.com

How to Draw a Detox Bath

1. Add 5-10 drops essential oil (I love lavender) to 2 cups Epsom salt, then add to a standard tub full of water.

2. Ideally, you want the water quite hot as we are looking to create a nice sweat.

3. If your bath water is not filtered, add 1 cup of baking soda as this helps neutralize the chemicals, primarily chlorine, as well as increase mineral absorption.

4. Immerse yourself in the water, all the way up to your neck. You want as much of your body underwater as you can. Close your eyes, do some breathing exercises and soak for at least 20 minutes.

5. Once you are done soaking, rise out of the tub very slowly and cautiously. You may feel a little dizzy and light-headed, this will go away as you shower off quickly in cool water.

6. It is important not to use harsh soaps or shampoos as your pores are open and will just absorb the chemicals found in those products.

7. Once dry you can apply a natural moisturizer like body butter, shea butter or coconut oil and some aluminum-free deodorant, but again no lotions with perfumes, dyes or chemicals.

8. Do not eat immediately before or after taking a detox bath.

9. Instead hydrate yourself with filtered water before and after.

10. Allow time after your bath to rest and rejuvenate.

Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse

The Ultimate CleanseDo you want to jumpstart your weight loss in just 21 days?

Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse is a 21-day whole foods-based holistic detox program. There is no fasting or funny stuff — just good, clean, whole foods!

This program is designed to help people lose weight, learn about liver detox and why it’s so important to cleanse in our toxic world, break sugar cravings, increase energy, get clear skin, get better sleep, decrease pain and inflammation and improve digestion.

Are you ready to feel better and improve your health in just 21 days?

Click HERE to get started today!

Comments

1. Amanda says

Yesterday I scrubbed my tub clean and took my first detox bath. Tonight I found the time to take another…yay. I know you said that there are no visible changes to show you the detox is working which is why I want to get your take on this. When the water drained, I was left with a fine black powder at the bottom of the tub. When dry it is chalk like, mixed with water it becomes like a water paint. I work in the office of a foundry. Given the cold temperatures we are having, I don’t feel it would be foundry dust on my skin as I am very covered up. I am sure i am breathing it in daily. Could this be drawn out from the Epsom salts?

• Sarah says

as far as I could research, Epsom salt doesn’t damage your pipes, my dad fixed the pipe and haven’t had any trouble since and I take an Epsom salt bath about once a day

2. Heather says

I’ve done this two nights in a row and I must say wow. I know it’s working because I urinate 3-4 times in just an hour or so after the bath. However, it actually gives me energy and I’m having a hard time falling asleep. (Very strange since I’ve read how magnesium is supposed to help you sleep). Would there be any problem taking them in the morning instead? Thank you!

3. Tracy says

I have type 2 diabetes, and keep reading in different places to not do detox baths. Do you know why? Do you recommend them for people like me?

4. Parent says

Is this safe for a baby? I have a 6 month old and just moved near a nuclear power plant and saw this helps with reducing radiation exposure. Thank you!

• Julie says

My children have pretty sensitive skin, especially as babies. Lots of bleeding, scarlet red diaper rash & eczema. Our pediatrician recommended Epsom Salt baths & it really did help to calm their skin. I think you are safe to give Epsom salt baths. I just try not to let them ingest the water even though it isn’t harmful in small amounts.
          I have no idea about radiation exposure other than I toured a nuclear plant in NJ several years ago & even after walking around IN the plant for an hour or so the radiation detectors picked up nothing. My friend however, did pick some up on his clothing & they had him walk through a contraption like a metal detector you’d see at the airport. It blasted him with a strong burst of air & then no radiation was detected on him. Interesting although somewhat unrelated. If you are worried about exposure check with local info sources. I think nuclear plants are typically fairly safe if up to date & following procedure to reduce if not eliminate outside contaminants. We just thought it’d be interesting to see so we called up & made an appointment. They were happy to have us tour the facility, although that was back in the late 90’s.

• Kate says

I work in nuclear medicine and detox baths are not going to remove radiation exposure from an individual. Once you are exposed to radiation you cannot reverse the exposure to yourself and body’s cells. The detox baths are great for their other health benefits mentioned above but if you are looking to reduce radiation exposure from a nearby power plant this wouldn’t be effective for that. Personally I feel that nuclear power plants when properly maintained are very safe and are closely monitored to ensure they are not releasing contamination into the public water systems etc., I too used to leave near a large plant.

5. Kelly says

I weighed myself before taking an Epsom salt bath and after…You know I lost almost 3 pounds a couple hours after I took my bath? I am naturally thin but occasionally, I get a little tummy pooch and this really helped me fit comfortably in my size 7 jeans

6. Lori Bettesworth says

Hi I purchased the book anf had a problem downloading anf now I can’t find it. My name is Lori Bettesworth and I paid with PayPal. Could you send me the link please?

7. Phyllis Mason says

I took a detox bath a week ago and it felt wonderful. The recipe was almost the same as this one but it also had 1/3 cup of ground ginger in it. Between the hot water and the ginger, I was sweating big time. I could actually feel the ginger heating me up on the inside. Once I got out of the tub, I was exhausted and went straight to bed. Best sleep I’ve ever had. Next few days I had more energy and just felt really good. You didn’t mention ginger, and I was wondering if I should have used it or did it deter from the goal of the detox bath?

8. ruth says

Which of your pinterest boards is this on? I would like to pin it. I would love to pin a lot of your articles but I can’t ever find the board they are on. Any suggestions?

Yes, I’d use the Epsom salt. It’s called a ‘salt’ based on its rock form not the actual ingredient. You mix (compound) a little bit of magnesium and a dash of sulfate together and let it hang out for a bit. Come back and check on it and u’ll see this crystalline rock stuff instead. And typically any thing that changes to a crystal whitish rock form falls under the ‘salts’ category. (Baking soda is also classified as a ‘salt’). But it was Mr. Epsom who first discovered this little chemistry lab trick so rightfully so he named his new rock salt after himself. :-)
    I actually detox at least 3-4 x week with: 1 cup sea salt, 2 cups Epsom salt & 1/2 – 1 cup baking soda. My children bath 4-5 times a week in 1/2 cup Epsom salt. :-)

10. Ashley says

This is the first time I’ve done a detox bath. I was enjoying it for about 5 minutes then I felt my chest tightening, so it focused on my breathing which made me realize just how much difficulty I was having breathing. I got out and rinsed with cool water as quick as could. I had to lay on my bed for about 5 mins before my breathing returned to normal. When I got up I caughty a glance of my face in the mirror and my face was beet red.I followed all the instructions and The water wasn’t that hot but it felt as if a weight was crushing me. Any idea what would cause this?

11. kgw says

I took a wonderful soak this past weekend, but then I started vomitting (5 times in 12 hours) and had terrible fatigue/diarrhea afterward for the next day. I did eat within about 1 hour of the soak and I also had a cold (which I was hoping might go away). I’m not sure if these things caused the reaction, but I’d really like to try it again. Anyone have any ideas what may have caused this?

12. andres licona says

Do you have to take the detox bath while being naked? I’m afraid of having my testicles and penis damaged by the hot water and/or epsom salts.

13. Helen says

Anyone who has questions about magnesium should check out Dr. Carolyn Dean’s video. She is a magnesium expert who explains how most people are deficient in magnesium and how prescription drugs lower the magnesium further causing the “false need” of more prescriptions, .. when the answer most often is to treat WITH magnesium.. Don’t get caught up in the medical nightmare of prescription abuse and learn how to treat your body right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55y4yOnn3c

• Helen says

Dr. Carolyn Dean has many articles out there and can answer many of the questions people are asking. You can also get on her mailing list and additionally pay for her services.

14. Andy says

I soak in green tea once or twice a week after which I do not rinse. Do you think it a good idea to add E salt and BS to my tea bath? Should I rinse off after soaking? If so, why should I rinse off?

15. Pia says

I have major restless syndrome. Will this help?
    Ppl seem to think baking doda is baking powder. I think its bicarbonate:of soda? Am I mistaken?

1. […] There is no doubt in this day and age, our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever. Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Toxins cause irritation, harm and destruction in the body if left unchecked. Detoxification is the body’s way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. However, the capacity of the body’s detoxification process is not endless. Keep reading… […]

2. […] 6. Bubble Bath Add some dried lavender or essential oil to your bath water to help you relax and detox. Lavender is known for it’s muscle relaxing capabilities, as well as improving your mental well being.  Here is a great post on how to do a Lavender Salt bath and another one on how to do a detox bath! […]