Detox Bath: Why and How

Detox Bath

A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies we can do to facilitate our body’s natural detoxification system. In today’s post I am going to tell you why you want to take a detox bath as well as show you how.

There is no doubt in this day and age, our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever. Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Toxins cause irritation, harm and destruction in the body if left unchecked. Detoxification is the body’s way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. However, the capacity of the body’s detoxification process is not endless.

A detox bath encourages the body to efficiently flush out toxins.

Our toxic burden is a result of the toxins we are exposed to and our body’s ability to naturally detox. The more toxins we are exposed to, the harder the body has to work at eliminating these toxins. The list of toxins that could potentially harm our bodies is almost endless; many start their day with a hot shower, the water is contaminated with pollutants, the soap and shampoo is full of chemicals, the toothpaste has fluoride, from there we may have breakfast where the food has been treated with pesticides and genetically modified. We haven’t even left our house, yet we have been exposed to toxins that can potentially cause ill-health. While it is impossible to abolish our exposure to all toxins, we can reduce unnecessary exposure as well as improve our body’s efficiency and ability to eliminate them.

When we take a detox bath, we not only boost our health and well-being, but also strengthen our immune system and prevent disease.

SOME ALARMING FACTS…

Our exposure to toxic substances is on the rise.

• 2,100 chemicals, including pesticides, herbicides, PCBs, medications such as antidepressants and recreational drugs are in our water supply.
    • 80,000 metric tons of carcinogens are released into the air annually in North America.
    • Over 80% of foods have genetically modified ingredients.
    • The EPA estimates that the average U.S. citizen has residues from over 400 toxic compounds in their body.
    • 82,000 chemicals are in use today in the United States, but only a fourth have ever been tested for toxicity.

When metabolic waste from toxins builds up in our body, we get sick. It is important to enhance our body’s ability to detoxify and get rid of the waste, meanwhile minimizing our exposure to toxins. This is imperative for excellent health, as many of today’s modern diseases are related to toxicity.

It might seem that everyone is toxic. That may be true to differing degrees. Problems with detoxification is one root of illness. If you feel lousy, it’s likely you’re toxic.” Mark Hyman, MD, Functional Medicine Expert

A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies that can be done to facilitate and enhance our body’s natural detoxification process.

The liver removes toxins and metabolic waste from the body by converting them to water-soluble compounds. Once water-soluble they can be eliminated from the body through urine. Some waste products are not water-soluble and are transformed by the liver and excreted in the bile. The bile is then transported to the intestines where it exits the body through our bowels. Toxins not eliminated or completely removed by either of these processes may be eliminated through our skin via our sweat.

Typically, a detox bath is made with epsom salt also known as magnesium sulfate, which not only draws out toxins, but has health benefits of its own:

• Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
  • Help muscles and nerves function properly
  • Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
  • Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
  • Make insulin more effective
  • Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
  • Improve oxygen use
  • Flush toxins
  • Improve absorption of nutrients
  • Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
  • Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

Detox Bath | healthylivinghowto.com

How to Draw a Detox Bath

1. Add 5-10 drops essential oil (I love lavender) to 2 cups epsom salt, then add to a standard tub full of water.

2. Ideally, you want the water quite hot as we are looking to create a nice sweat.

3. If your bath water is not filtered, add 1 cup of baking soda as this helps neutralize the chemicals, primarily chlorine, as well as increase mineral absorption.

4. Immerse yourself in the water, all the way up to your neck. You want as much of your body underwater as you can. Close your eyes, do some breathing exercises and soak for at least 20 minutes.

5. Once you are done soaking, rise out of the tub very slowly and cautiously. You may feel a little dizzy and light-headed, this will go away as you shower off quickly in cool water.

6. It is important not to use harsh soaps or shampoos as your pores are open and will just absorb the chemicals found in those products.

7. Once dry you can apply a natural moisturizer like body butter, shea butter or coconut oil and some aluminum-free deodorant, but again no lotions with perfumes, dyes or chemicals.

8. Do not eat immediately before or after taking a detox bath.

9. Instead hydrate yourself with filtered water before and after.

10. Allow time after your bath to rest and rejuvenate.

Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse

The Ultimate CleanseDo you want to jumpstart your weight loss in just 21 days?

Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse is a 21-day whole foods-based holistic detox program. There is no fasting or funny stuff — just good, clean, whole foods!

This program is designed to help people lose weight, learn about liver detox and why it’s so important to cleanse in our toxic world, break sugar cravings, increase energy, get clear skin, get better sleep, decrease pain and inflammation and improve GI function.

Are you ready to feel better and improve your health in just 21 days?

Click HERE to get started today!

Click +1 below if you like to take a detox bath.

Comments

Epsom salt is made up of naturally occurring minerals magnesium and sulfate, which can help improve health in numerous ways. A lack of magnesium—which helps regulate the activity of more than 300 enzymes in the body—can contribute to high blood pressure, hyperactivity, heart problems and other health issues, doctors warn. Sulfate is essential for many biological processes, helping to flush toxins and helping form proteins in joints, brain tissue and mucin proteins.

1. Kim says

I can’t wait to try this detox bath..I have been on so many medications for anxiety, depression, pain medications after numerous surgeries, etc. I have been under a great deal of emotional stress due to family issues, etc.. I have felt toxic for a long time and I am currently making small changes in my diet and life everyday. Thank you for this website, it has a lot of wonderful info. Always, Kim

For several years, I had high cholesterol, and have a minor heart condition. I began detox more than a year ago, combined with healthier eating and lifestyle and I no longer need prescription meds.

2. Abby says

Will this detox bath pull out the ink in tattoos? I’ve had mine for about four months. I’d really like to try this, but I don’t want to ruin my tattoo! Thanks!

3. Anonymous says

When I was 18, an older adult noticed the long baths I would take and made a comment along the lines of “Once you have kids, you won’t be able to take baths like that.” I laughed and silently vowed to never let that happen. This is the one thing that I have pretty much kept the same. I take a nice, long bath every day. =) Thanks for the tips! I’m going to try to add this to my regimin soon!

• Anna says

Bonnie,

I actually recommend baths with Epsom salts for some of my chemo patients. Certain chemotherapies can cause your Magnesium levels to drop (which is what Epsom Salts are). Studies have shown that people with Magnesium deficiencies will naturally correct their levels by taking baths with the 2c of Epsom salts recommended here 2-3 times per week. Replacing Magnesium by mouth can lead to diarrhea, so this is a nice alternative. I actually do this myself to help with Migraine headaches and muscle cramps and it really makes a difference. IN regards to radiation, though, I do not recommend soaking the area undergoing treatment. However, you can soak other areas (i.e.if your neck is being treated, you could soak your legs and trunk, but I wouldn’t put your head in the water). It can be drying and, if the skin is broken, transfer bacteria.

4. Annonymous says

How often should you be taking a detox bath. I don’t want to overdue it. Also, if you do other forms of detox, like sassy water (which I make frequently) is it possible to over detox your body?

It is safe to take an epsom salt bath while pregnant as long as the temperature of the water is kept at or below core body temperature.

• Lauren L. says

You may want to check with your care provider on this one. I was going to make a skin scrub and was told not to use epsom salts in any way while pregnant. I think electrolytes and dehydration were the concern.

• Ina says

A long hot soak is probably not a good idea while pregnant. However, re the comment on no Epsom salts during pregnancy: that’s only internally.
      Magnesium is given to women who have elevated blood pressure in pregnancy leading to seizures. Keeping your magnesium level up will prevent this kind of problem and keep your muscles relaxed. Topical magnesium oil is wonderful for this.

5. Lyra says

If you live in a cold climate and take a very hot bath with salts in it every day, I think it would strip your skin of it’s natural oils and would be very dehydrating. I would be cautious on how often I did this, Also in the incidence of pre-existing medical conditions it would be wise to consult ones physician before doing this.

• Judy says

I have been taking the epsom salt baths nightly for quite awhile..but I add the coconut oil to the bath..about a teaspoonful..does this decrease the efficacy of the epsom salts ?

• Des says

You should avoid using coconut oil in the pipes. Since it can solidify its not recommended for use as it can cause pipe damage and blockage.

6. Tessica says

If I had supper at 5 or 6, could I take Detox Bath at 10 and be ok? Just wondering how many hours you should wait if you eat. Or if I did this first thing in the morning how long should I wait to eat something?

• Sarah says

Could you add Tea Tree Oil? I’m new to essential oils, but I just bought some Eucalyptus and Tea Tree. I love both, but since I’m sick right now I wondered if TT might be more beneficial.

7. barbara says

I started an exercise program for the new year. Normally, I am so sore and stiff that I give up after several weeks. After each session, I come home and soak in epsom salts and baking soda….NO NO NO sore muscles or stiffness AT ALL!!!!! It is a miracle for me.

• Amy says

Barbara, I wouldn’t hastily contribute your lack of sore muscles to the epsom salts and baking soda. Soaking your body in a plain warm bath is a common way to relax your muscles and therefore relieve soreness and stiffness.

Heat therapy dilates the blood vessels of the muscles which increases the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles, helping to heal the damaged tissue.
      Heat stimulates the sensory receptors in the skin to decrease transmissions of pain signals to the brain and partially relieve the discomfort. It also facilitates stretching the soft tissues around the spine, including muscles, connective tissue, and adhesions, to decrease in stiffness as well as injury, with an increase in flexibility and overall feeling of comfort.

8. Jean says

Hi I’m new to this subject info. Anyone know if unscented baby oil is acceptable as the moisturizer? The ingredient list only says “mineral oil”

• Shelley says

Mineral oil (baby oil) is refined crude oil. It is so bad for you. It actually seals your pores and dehydrates you. Try putting a cracker in a glass of mineral oil and another in water. The one in water will dissolve, the one mineral oil will get hard. No one, especially kids, should ever use it.

9. Penny says

Hi! Thanks for this article on detox baths. I’m suffering from many issues that come from fibromyalgia like IBS or Crohn’s….bowel issues, constipation etc… Then muscle pain and twitching, restless leg syndrome,chronic fatigue, dizziness and blurred vision and other issues and changes….would you recommend that I take detox baths weekly? Or multiple times a week? Are there any good things I can add to the detox bath to help me with the bowel issues are fibromyalgia? I’d read up on cayenne and ginger being good. Any reply will be so greatly appreciated ! I’ve had it with western medicine just wanting to pour toxins into my body so I’m going the all natural route ! Thank you !

10. Ashley says

Can my husband take a detox bath if we are trying to concieve? I know hot tubs are not reccomended. Would cooler water have the same effect?

Thank you!

11. Michele says

I made the water as hot as I could stand it. I couldn’t stay in longer than 10 minutes because it was very uncomfortable. Was this a wasted effort?

12. Karalynn Moore says

I have just done this and it feels amazing!! The twenty minutes felt like forever but completely worth it! My only question is how much water would you recommend to drink daily for this? And when you say daily is it a Monday through Friday or evey single night? Thank you so much for sharing!!

13. Darree says

i have dysautonomiaa. will it be okay to do this…. you said after the bath we fell lightheaded and dizzy. Thanks . Darree

• Samantha says

Hi Darree,

I have dysautonomia/POTS thanks to my Ehlers Danlos. I suggest having a bottle of cool water with you to sip, and make sure you’ve had plenty of good quality salt beforehand. Take your time getting out of the bath – go from lying to sitting, wait a minute or two, go to supported standing/leaning on the sink for a minute or two, then stand up.

• Kayla says

I have POTS Also… my cardiologist told me it’s extremely common in women between the aged of 20 and 35… Also that we will “grow out of it”. With that said… I have been taking these baths and have not had an issue :)

• SueAnn says

heat is contraindicated with lymphedema, per my certification training materials to be a certified lymphedema therapist. You might be able to take a warm bath but I would not recommend the water to be “hot”

14. gail Metcalfe says

I wonder about baking soda for detoxing though… doesn’t baking soda contain aluminum? and if so, wouldn’t the aluminum be detrimental for detoxing.

Baking soda at one time did contain aluminum…however most companies have stopped. Arm & Hammer baking soda is aluminum-free. Now baking powder on the other hand…

15. Emily says

I have several illnesses, the major ones being autoimmune hepatitis, lupus, diabetes, and IBS. Would this bath be ok for me? I also work out and have some soreness (my trainer is a marine). He works me out hard and I love him to death.

• Ashley says

Yes, I also have Lupus and have taken detox baths. Just make sure to lay down as soon as you get out. It made me VERY tired afterwards.

• privatejoy says

me too, but i am on wk. three i take one every friday night and I must say it truly tires you out but the days that follow you feel great

16. msunderstood says

I’ve wanted to do this for some time. I have an undiagnosed GI tract infection that has left me almost bedridden for the past year, and many of my non-GI symptoms (I believe) are from toxins the infectious agents are emitting.
    I have one hesitation- every time I take a bath with anything other than plain water, I come down with a vaginal yeast infection. The last time, in fact, was with a commercial bath salt product that was, basically, scented epsom salt. It seems to change the ph of my vagina or something, and then comes the infection.
    Any tips? Does this not happen to anyone else??

• Lisa Jane says

This is a great question! I believe you will be fine with PLAIN epsom salts. Clearly, you are too sensitive to fragrances, as is my daughter, and should avoid all such thing in your bath. I know I’m nearly a year later responding to this thread and I’m sure you have figured out what is working. However, I wanted to address your question just the same for future readers.

17. Maggie Pulley says

What about the toxins in tge tap water? Do you recommend a bath faucet filter? Or do you think you still get the benefits, even though the tap water isn’t pure?

18. Emily says

Everytime I take one of these baths I get sick. I don’t know if its the fact that I have a compromised immune system or what.

19. Becky says

I did this when i had the flu earlier this year and literally felt much better the next day! Soreness and body aches went away quicker than I expected :)
    Never had the flu before but if I get it again, I will def be doing this again too!

20. Deborah says

What about adding cider vinegar in the same proportions as the epsom salts to the bath water AT THE SAME TIME? Cider vinegar is very good for skin. It restores the acid mantel to the skin. Your skin will be soft from the vinegar. You will not smell like vinegar, btw. Also, vinegar is a natural disinfectant.

21. nicki says

Would you recommend this for kids too? My kids take baths every night and I don’t add anything to the water but often wonder if I should. Maybe I should at least add baking soda since the water is not filtered.

22. HOLLY says

Ok so my question is I rent an condo and I don’t have the biggest bath tub and I’m not a tiny girl. Does it matter if you can’t soak your whole body all at once? I can only add so much water. I have done 2 detox baths but have done them wrong. (I was told 1 cup of Epsom salt) so I want to go home and try it tonight. I do make sure my hands and feet are in the water at all times and even though I didn’t use the right amount I did sweat alot and it did make me feel real tired afterwards. So hopefully it did a little something.

23. Laura says

I’m currently 35 weeks pregnant and my grandma got the foot detox bath…would it be safe to use just that instead of soaking myself in a whole bath tub to detox?

24. Jenna says

I recently visited my massage therapist who said detox baths are good but not to exceed 3 detox baths per week because studies have shown it relinquishes minerals directly from the bone. What are your thoughts on this matter?

• Shannon says

Hi, this actually can help with hair if it is oily or you want to remove all the residue from hair products in your hair. We also absorb toxins through our scalp so it would probably help take toxins out of your scalp.

25. Young says

I just got my salts and the box said to ask doctor before use if you are pregnant just thought I would say

26. Shannon says

I noticed that if my bath water is too hot it makes me feel sick when I get out as if my blood sugar were dropping. I do not have low blood sugar or diabetes. I get my water medium warm to very warm not hot. I think if it is too hot the toxins just back up inside you.

• Samantha says

Hi Shannon,

This sounds more like you have an imbalance in your electrolytes – most likely salt. Maybe try having some good quality salt with some water before your next bath, and see if that helps? I hope it does, it works for me =)

27. Nancy B. says

Does anyone know if this amount of salt would be harmful to my septic tank bacteria? They are, of course, intestinal bacteria so somewhat sensitive.

28. Amanda says

I have a sinus infection and just got 2 shots and a zpak to help me get better. Will this bath take these antibiotics out of my system?

I’ve had one sinus infection in my life. I did not use antibiotics, but opted for hot showers and a neti-pot. After just one round of antibiotics it is judicious to take high-quality probiotics and l-glutamine, as anti-b do a number on the gut.

29. Irene Plummer says

I don’t have a bathtub, only a shower. Would a foot soak work? If so, what proportion of products. Thx

30. Jessica says

Hello so everyone keeps saying coconut oil are you talking about the one made for lotion or the actual coconut oil for cooking and everything?

31. Leah says

I have tank water …rain water …so I don’t need baking soda?
    I didn’t think about the septic tank but I see that it’s fine. been giving these a go, think I need to make them hotter and do a bit more hydrating :)
    …if you can advise on the baking soda that would be great, thanks :)

32. Sumi says

Do you have a recommendation for people who are trying to loose weight but cant get into a bathtub easily?

33. Nicole says

I have panic attacks, especially when I sweat or get hot. Will this still work if I don’t sweat in a warm bath?

34. Beatriz says

I had a full hysterectomy a week ago due to ovarian cancer. when would be a good time to start bathing with Epsom salts?

35. Marie says

Hello,

I had an aortic Ross Procedure about 3 years ago. My aortic valve was removed and replaced with my pulmonary valve which was replaced by a donor. After the procedure, my doctor told me that the only thing I shouldn’t do is try out for a pro football team. I could resume normal activity and even finally play sports (for the first time in my life). I have read that you are not supposed to take a detox bath if you have a heart condition. I don’t technically have a heart condition now but I’m not sure what to do. I take baby aspirin and atenolol (Beta Blocker) once daily.

36. joshua says

Hi, i’m new to this, i’m just interested to know specifically what these toxins are exactly? is it biological or chemicals absorbed through diet etc, what does toxins mean? thankyou.

37. Linda says

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I am wondering if the detox bath would be safe to do. Or how long I should wait

38. Alene says

My husband takes thyroid medication. He has a bad rash (very itchy) on his torso from laying in wheat chaff while working on the combine. Is it safe for him to soak in a tub with epsom salt?

39. Aurelie says

I am having a laminectomy and spinal fusion in two weeks. I will not be able to take a bzth afterwards for 6 weeks. Do you think a salt bath would help in the next two weeks for an easier recovery after surgery?

40. Anoushka says

Hello,
    Great article..along with comments, feedback. My questions regarding the epsom salt bath is this recommended if one has to take water pills or has low blood pressure or any heart condition?
    I’m thinking it would benefit my mom as she is eldery has joint pains, etc. Would this bath be beneficial to her? And confirming that epsom ‘salt’ is not ‘salt’ per se, rather than magnesium & sulfate – to remove my mother’s worry that the bath would increase her body’s ‘sodium’ intake…appreciate your reply. Thx.

• claire says

yes it will help! my grandmother has severe joint pains, arthritis, every bad pain you can think of in your body and she loves these, she finds it very hard to get up stairs but she will run up for the bath :D
      it is not salt as you say, it is magnesium, it will not increase her salt/sodium intake :)

41. Janey says

I had a quadruple bypass surgery about 17 months ago. My doctor said they “fixed” my heart. I also take cholesterol medicine and beta blockers. Can I take these baths? Thanks

• claire says

water weight maybe :) drink lots of water all the time! it will help
      mangos are good for weightloss!
      stop eating rubbish :)
      the main baddy is all the drinks, should only drink water, lemon to taste, hot herbal teas are ok

42. connie says

if you take several meds thru out the day, and then you do the detox bath, does this remove all the meds from your body? If so how does this then help people like me. I would really like to try this. Would love to get rid of other bad stuff.

43. Biggi says

Hello Vanessa
    i have heard many good things of this kinda bath, but i do not have a bath tub in the flat i live, and no chance anywhere near. Would it help and suffice to have a foot bath with the same ingredients?
    I have a big tub to soak my feet in, but just simply no bath tub, and the shower basin is maybe 5 inches high, so there is no way to do any soaking there…
    Would that foot bath help me? (i am seriously in need to detox…)

I am a renter, have not tried this yet, but will the Epsom salts dissolve or stay whole and will they hurt the plumbing/pipes as it goes down the drain?

45. Lulu says

I tried this detox but I did not sweat. Why would I not sweat. I used very hot water as well. Can it take a few times?

• Robin says

I have read that an inability to sweat can be caused by iodine deficiency, which is rampant in our society. I highly recommend Lugol’s solution. The best part is that you can buy the ingredients and make it yourself. One doctor I can think of to research is Dr. Brownstein. I hope I spelled it right. He has some YouTube videos about iodine also.

46. Julie says

Currently I am 15 weeks pregnant and am aware hot baths are not recommended. If I use cooler water, would there still be benefits? I use a magnesium oil spray daily, but would like to try a detox bath if safe while pregnant. Thank you!

47. Susan says

Timely article for me, as I am suffering from allergic reaction to something and have dermatitis and redness and swelling around my left eye. We have chloramines and fluoride in our water system (chlorine + ammonia), and I was told to look for Vitamin C to help rid the water of those. I know some ascorbic acid tablets are GMO. Would you know a good source of Vit C that you could put in bath?

48. Ishie says

Hi, You mentioned that tap water has many nasties in it, is there anything I can do to make sure during my bath it doesn’t get through into my pores. I have been looking for an answer online for some time but haven’t been lucky finding anything. Thanks for the great articles and information :)

• Kaylee says

If you re-read the article, it says to put baking soda (or powder lol) in with the salts if you dont have filtered water. check and see which one it said.

49. C says

I have wanted to do this for awhile. I decided to do this last evening and got the worse headache I have had since trying to go wheat free and reducing my sugar intake. Do you think it is because of not doing this before or maybe the way I was in the tub for my neck. I used to have terrible migraines and cut out wheat/gluten a year ago and cut out white sugar and using substitutes of stevia and swerve to get rid of them. The changes were almost instant with my migraines and getting rid of them last night it was so bad and I could not sleep- I took the first medication in almost 9 months for it. I had no sweets yesterday and in fact only had eggs for brunch and chicken breast and asparagus for dinner- water and coffee. Just wanting to know if this was a fluke or do some people get this when the toxins are being flushed out? thank you and love your posts!

50. howard piotrovsky says

Could I add the Epsom salt to my hot tub? I use filtered water, hydrogen peroxide and no other chemicals except for muriatic acid to balance my PH.

51. ~Jerry says

I swear by epsom salt and never heard or thought of the detox effects. I will say this; I once weighed myself and took a 30 minute, hot epsom salt bath. I dried and weighed myself again, out of curiosity, 8 pounds left me in the tub. Just sayin!

• Sharon Miller says

As soon as I can soak I’m going to try this. I had a total knee replacement 10 days ago and wasn’t having any difficulties until I spent an hour with my husband shopping. My leg is almost twice the size of my “good” leg and neither the physical therapist nor I are able to get the fluid out. I have been following a paleo and clean eating lifestyle.

52. Tani says

2 cups of Epsom, plus 1 cup of baking powder is going to become very expensive doing it daily.
    Will I still see benefits doing it only once or twice a week instead?

• Griffin says

What is the importance of applying oil after the shower phase of this detox? Plus…what causes the light-headedness?

There are a couple different reasons, but this is the main one — heat causes your blood vessels to dilate. The wider the radius of your blood vessels the less resistance your heart has to pump against. This means less pressure in the circulatory system. The oil is not necessary just to add moisture to the skin.

53. Amanda says

Yesterday I scrubbed my tub clean and took my first detox bath. Tonight I found the time to take another…yay. I know you said that there are no visible changes to show you the detox is working which is why I want to get your take on this. When the water drained, I was left with a fine black powder at the bottom of the tub. When dry it is chalk like, mixed with water it becomes like a water paint. I work in the office of a foundry. Given the cold temperatures we are having, I don’t feel it would be foundry dust on my skin as I am very covered up. I am sure i am breathing it in daily. Could this be drawn out from the Epsom salts?

54. Heather says

I’ve done this two nights in a row and I must say wow. I know it’s working because I urinate 3-4 times in just an hour or so after the bath. However, it actually gives me energy and I’m having a hard time falling asleep. (Very strange since I’ve read how magnesium is supposed to help you sleep). Would there be any problem taking them in the morning instead? Thank you!

55. Tracy says

I have type 2 diabetes, and keep reading in different places to not do detox baths. Do you know why? Do you recommend them for people like me?

56. Parent says

Is this safe for a baby? I have a 6 month old and just moved near a nuclear power plant and saw this helps with reducing radiation exposure. Thank you!

• Julie says

My children have pretty sensitive skin, especially as babies. Lots of bleeding, scarlet red diaper rash & eczema. Our pediatrician recommended Epsom Salt baths & it really did help to calm their skin. I think you are safe to give Epsom salt baths. I just try not to let them ingest the water even though it isn’t harmful in small amounts.
          I have no idea about radiation exposure other than I toured a nuclear plant in NJ several years ago & even after walking around IN the plant for an hour or so the radiation detectors picked up nothing. My friend however, did pick some up on his clothing & they had him walk through a contraption like a metal detector you’d see at the airport. It blasted him with a strong burst of air & then no radiation was detected on him. Interesting although somewhat unrelated. If you are worried about exposure check with local info sources. I think nuclear plants are typically fairly safe if up to date & following procedure to reduce if not eliminate outside contaminants. We just thought it’d be interesting to see so we called up & made an appointment. They were happy to have us tour the facility, although that was back in the late 90′s.

• Kate says

I work in nuclear medicine and detox baths are not going to remove radiation exposure from an individual. Once you are exposed to radiation you cannot reverse the exposure to yourself and body’s cells. The detox baths are great for their other health benefits mentioned above but if you are looking to reduce radiation exposure from a nearby power plant this wouldn’t be effective for that. Personally I feel that nuclear power plants when properly maintained are very safe and are closely monitored to ensure they are not releasing contamination into the public water systems etc., I too used to leave near a large plant.

57. Kelly says

I weighed myself before taking an Epsom salt bath and after…You know I lost almost 3 pounds a couple hours after I took my bath? I am naturally thin but occasionally, I get a little tummy pooch and this really helped me fit comfortably in my size 7 jeans

58. Lori Bettesworth says

Hi I purchased the book anf had a problem downloading anf now I can’t find it. My name is Lori Bettesworth and I paid with PayPal. Could you send me the link please?

59. Phyllis Mason says

I took a detox bath a week ago and it felt wonderful. The recipe was almost the same as this one but it also had 1/3 cup of ground ginger in it. Between the hot water and the ginger, I was sweating big time. I could actually feel the ginger heating me up on the inside. Once I got out of the tub, I was exhausted and went straight to bed. Best sleep I’ve ever had. Next few days I had more energy and just felt really good. You didn’t mention ginger, and I was wondering if I should have used it or did it deter from the goal of the detox bath?

60. ruth says

Which of your pinterest boards is this on? I would like to pin it. I would love to pin a lot of your articles but I can’t ever find the board they are on. Any suggestions?

Yes, I’d use the Epsom salt. It’s called a ‘salt’ based on its rock form not the actual ingredient. You mix (compound) a little bit of magnesium and a dash of sulfate together and let it hang out for a bit. Come back and check on it and u’ll see this crystalline rock stuff instead. And typically any thing that changes to a crystal whitish rock form falls under the ‘salts’ category. (Baking soda is also classified as a ‘salt’). But it was Mr. Epsom who first discovered this little chemistry lab trick so rightfully so he named his new rock salt after himself. :-)
    I actually detox at least 3-4 x week with: 1 cup sea salt, 2 cups Epsom salt & 1/2 – 1 cup baking soda. My children bath 4-5 times a week in 1/2 cup Epsom salt. :-)

62. Ashley says

This is the first time I’ve done a detox bath. I was enjoying it for about 5 minutes then I felt my chest tightening, so it focused on my breathing which made me realize just how much difficulty I was having breathing. I got out and rinsed with cool water as quick as could. I had to lay on my bed for about 5 mins before my breathing returned to normal. When I got up I caughty a glance of my face in the mirror and my face was beet red.I followed all the instructions and The water wasn’t that hot but it felt as if a weight was crushing me. Any idea what would cause this?

63. kgw says

I took a wonderful soak this past weekend, but then I started vomitting (5 times in 12 hours) and had terrible fatigue/diarrhea afterward for the next day. I did eat within about 1 hour of the soak and I also had a cold (which I was hoping might go away). I’m not sure if these things caused the reaction, but I’d really like to try it again. Anyone have any ideas what may have caused this?

64. andres licona says

Do you have to take the detox bath while being naked? I’m afraid of having my testicles and penis damaged by the hot water and/or epsom salts.

65. Helen says

Anyone who has questions about magnesium should check out Dr. Carolyn Dean’s video. She is a magnesium expert who explains how most people are deficient in magnesium and how prescription drugs lower the magnesium further causing the “false need” of more prescriptions, .. when the answer most often is to treat WITH magnesium.. Don’t get caught up in the medical nightmare of prescription abuse and learn how to treat your body right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55y4yOnn3c

• Helen says

Dr. Carolyn Dean has many articles out there and can answer many of the questions people are asking. You can also get on her mailing list and additionally pay for her services.

1. […] There is no doubt in this day and age, our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever. Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Toxins cause irritation, harm and destruction in the body if left unchecked. Detoxification is the body’s way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. However, the capacity of the body’s detoxification process is not endless. Keep reading… […]

2. […] 6. Bubble Bath Add some dried lavender or essential oil to your bath water to help you relax and detox. Lavender is known for it’s muscle relaxing capabilities, as well as improving your mental well being.  Here is a great post on how to do a Lavender Salt bath and another one on how to do a detox bath! […]