How To Make Beef Bone Broth

How To Make Beef Bone Broth

If you haven’t already read my two-part series on the medicinal qualities of bone broth, I’ll quickly fill you in.  Bone broths are a cure for upper respiratory ailments, they promote healing, support digestion, contain highly absorbable minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium), bolster bone, joint and skin healing, aid in detoxification and support the immune system. Bone broths are the end all, be all, cure all, when it comes to staying healthy during the cold and flu season. If you have been unfortunate, and have caught a bug, this liquid gold is truly the healthiest cold medicine. The best part, you can’t overdose on it and it carries no ill side effects!

We enjoy chicken bone broth on a regular basis, however, with a recent purchase of a side of beef, we were thrilled to see beef soup bones in our box. Making bone broth is really simple, all you need are bones, veggies, spices, vinegar, water and patience. Depending on your cooking method, it may require more or less.

Making Beef Bone Broth Image 1Start with 5 lbs. of grass fed beef soup bones. Meaty bones equals delicious bone broth! If you can’t find soup bones, ask the butcher. They have them, you may just need to ask. Don’t hold your breath, but I have heard of people getting them for free!

Making Beef Bone Broth Image 2Next you are going to roast the bones along with a whole onion and a few handfuls of carrots. 450 º F  for 30 minutes, turning once. Be prepared for your house to smell amazing!

Making Beef Bone Broth Image 3Into a stock pot, slow cooker or pressure cooker goes the roasted bones, carrots and onions. To this add a few stalks of celery, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, a bay leaf, some apple cider vinegar and enough water to cover it all. And the pan drippings. Don’t forget the pan drippings. Directions for each cooking method is a little different but all produce a healing bone broth.

Making Beef Bone Broth Image 4When bone broth is done, fish out the solids with a slotted spoon and pour through a fine mesh sieve into heat-proof jars. Once cool, refrigerate overnight. In the morning that layer of fat you see will be hard, scoop it out. What is left is something that resembles meat “jelly”. This is a sign of a good bone broth. You want it to jiggle. Heat turns it to liquid gold!

Beef Bone Broth

DID YOU KNOW… WRINKLES and CELLULITE form, as we age, due to a loss of collagen? You can fill in fine lines and lose the dimples without spending a fortune on creams or injections, by drinking REAL BONE BROTH. It is rich in collagen and when we drink it, that collagen is directed to the parts of our body that need it the most, namely our skin! You won’t find real bone broth at the store, that is just spiced up water. Instead, use my healthy and easy recipe to make your own.

Beef Bone Broth

Roast Bones with Carrots and Onions
  1. Place bones, sliced onion and carrots in roasting pan.
  2. Roast at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes, turning once.
  3. Making Bone Broth
  4. Add roasted bones to stock pot, slow cooker or pressure cooker along with celery, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, bay leaf, apple cider vinegar and pan drippings.
  5. Cover with just enough water so that bones are submerged.
  6. Cooking Method
  7. Stock Pot - bring to boil, turn to low, cover and simmer for 12 hours.
  8. Slow Cooker - cover, cook on high for 2 hours, turn to low and simmer for a total of 12 hours.
  9. Pressure Cooker - bring to high pressure, turn to low, set timer for 1 hour, upon completion quick release pressure.
  10. Finished Bone Broth
  11. When broth is done, fish out the solids with a slotted spoon and pour through a fine mesh sieve into heat-proof jars. Once cool, refrigerate overnight. In the morning the layer of fat will be hard, and can be scooped out. What is left is something that resembles meat “jelly”. This is a sign of a good broth. You want it to jiggle. Heat turns it to liquid gold!

Want to learn more about bone broth?

Bone Broth A Recipe for HealthCheck out the e-book Bone Broth A Recipe For Health to learn more about the history and healing power of real bone broth. This book also provides bone broth recipes from several of the leaders of the whole foods and paleo diet movement including Mark Sisson of Mark’s Daily Apple, Lea from Paleo Spirit, Jordan Reasoner of SCD Lifestyle, Christa Oreccio from The Whole Journey, Sally Fallon Morrell from the Weston A. Price Foundation and myself.

Do you make bone broth? Click below and give this recipe +1!

Comments

1. Heather Chupp says

So thankful for this recipe Vanessa – I have several cookers of beef bones to do……and yes, I got them for free!

2. Sheri Stevens says

I used to get them for free until the butchers realized the paleo movement was quite lucrative…now I pay $4.00/lb :( Oh well, still worth it! :)

3. Christy says

Hi Vanessa,

Where did you find your grassfed side of beef? I’m checking into a couple different internet sites for grassfed beef but they don’t list a whole side of beef as an option. Thanks!

4. Sharon Looper says

If you use this in a soup or whatever, do you add water to it, like you would boullion? Or just cup for cup like a broth?

5. Laura says

This looks great! I’ve recently found out about the benefits of bone broth, but have been scared of trying any of them. This recipe looks so manageable – thank you for sharing!

6. Amanda says

Hi Vanessa!

I just got some beef marrow bones yesterday & was going to make some broth today!

Quick question: Would there be any additional benefits from adding powdered beef gelatin to the broth?

Thanks!

7. Susan says

I just purchased mine from Whole Foods for $6.50 (not per pound, it’s pre-packaged). There was no meat on it though, just the bones. They do have a cut of beef w/the same bone in it for $5.99 lb. Grass fed beef. My broth is in the crock pot right now. Can’t wait to try it!

8. karissa says

Hi, x
    Thanks for the info and recipe. My body
    Doesnt agree with beef so well. Can I use
    Chicken or something else? Would i get
    The same benefits? Thank you

9. Susan Long says

So interesting yet makes perfect sense, never have heard this and can’t wait to do my turkey caress Thursday. And then get some beef bones! Thanks!

10. marge201 says

I use DIY broth for marinating, sauteeing, and for reheating cooked veggies. I take a bowl of cold cooked leftover roasted and sauteed veggies and pour a lot of broth in there to make it soupy, then add a lot of unhulled sesame seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, and some sunflower seeds. I will start looking for bones. Great idea. Not a problem to pay. Will be flavorful and who knew about the skin benefit!! Thank you!

11. Jennifer says

I tried making this from a chicken carcass in a crockpot for 24 hours. It did not congeal even a little bit. Did I not leave it cooking long enough? I’ve heard cutting the bones helps…. feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Anna says

You can freeze in Mason Jars, just leave a lot of head space as liquids expand a lot as they freeze. However, if you are unsure there are plastic mason jars now just for freezing.

• Melissa says

You CAN freeze in glass jars, just make sure they are STRAIGHT sided with NO curvy neck AT ALL!! Curvy necks = cracked jars —- Straight sides = no cracked jars —– Good ones to use, Wide mouth QUARTS&PINTS, as well as recycled nut butter jars!

12. Jaimie M says

Do I need any turkey meat on the bones or can I take off all meat? Can I omit step 1 (roasting carrots & onions)?
    Thanks!

13. Nate says

Is the fat really that bad since it all comes from grass fed beef? If we follow a paleo or primal diet where we’ve cut out as much as possible sugar, grains and beans, wouldn’t the fat be a welcome source of energy?

14. Deborah says

Hi Vanessa, have you heard of Great lakes Beef Gelatin (Grass fed). Pure protein, Kosher, and Collagen Hydrolysate for collagen joint care.. Purified protein derived by the selective hydrolysis of collagen from the skin, connective tissue and bones.

If so what are your thoughts on this?

I read so many great reviews and decided to purchase these products. I add 2 table spoons of the beef gelatin in my smoothie, and 1 table spoon of Collagen Hydrolysate in a glass of warm water before bed. As it is tasteless and does not jell like the beef gelatin. It has helped tremendously for a more restful sleep and to digest the meats I consume. My nails are much stronger and hair healthier. etc etc…

Deb

15. Deborah says

I have been adding both to soups, stews, sauces, smoothies, water… for 3 months with positive results. And it is also great as a hair mask. Naturally thickens and adds shine.

I am interested in your opinion. :)

16. terri says

We buy a side of grass fed beef and we get the bones as well. Because the bones had essentially no meat on it I used a package of hamburger from the same side of beef for the meatiness (they add the fat from my beef to the meat to make the hamburger.) Just a quick tip if you aren’t able to find meaty soup bones to make stock.

17. Pam says

I love bone broth! I crave it sometimes. I was wondering what your thoughts are on reusing the bones. I saw a video post about doing this with chicken and wondered if it would work with beef. The process was to pour off the broth, then add more water to the bones and continue cooking. Have you ever tried that?

18. Carol says

When you scoop out all the veggies and then strain the liquid, what do you do with the veggies? I would hate to just throw them away. Have you (or anyone else) put the veggies in a blender or food processor and pureed them for a drink? Or maybe semi-pureed them for a “veggie soup”? With all those veggies and flavors, I think it sounds like it would be pretty good…

19. Vickie says

I am one of 4 siblings raised in the 50′s/60′s and my Mom told me of an old doctor that knew we weren’t the richest folks in town, that the best things in the world he could feed us was dried beans and cook down bones for soup for us. He said, that stuff you saw in your own mother’s cooking, that jelly looking stuff, that is what they need to help make and keep them healthy. Her mother had her own recipe for making what they called bone soup, they added tomatoes and pasta to it, and it was a favorite among their family of 10 and the sisters all still cook Bone Soup or as they call it, Mama Soup. Thanks for the recipe, have wondered why my broth has not had much jelly and know I know how to make it better!

20. Ronit says

My butcher suggest brushing tomato past on the bones before roasting. It made a great tasting broth and the color was really nice as well.

I have a question, I’m using soup shank bones that have a LOT of meat on them…..will the meat be over cooked when I take it out of the crock pot after 12 hours??? Can I just use that meat?