Chia Flax Crackers

Just putting the finishing touches on the Oh Mega series, if you haven’t already done so, you can catch up with Part One and Part Two. Stay tuned for Part Three tomorrow. In the meantime, I wanted to share with you a very easy cracker recipe that is rich in Omega-3s. The crackers are made from both ground flax seeds as well as whole flax seeds along with chia seeds. Add a little water and a few seasonings and you’ve got a crispy crunchy cracker.

Some time ago, I spotted  Doctor in the Kitchen Flackers at our local Whole Foods. I did a quick look at the nutrition information and ingredients and knew I could easily make these for a fraction of the cost. I dug deep in my wallet and bought a box of the Savory Flackers so I would have an idea of taste and texture.

While I liked the Flackers, after eating a whole box (not in one sitting), I knew I wanted to make a few changes.  The texture of the Flackers were a bit more chewy and a little less crunchy as they are made with whole flax seeds. To make my healthy Chia Flax Crackers more crunchy, I used a combination of both flax seeds and flaxseed meal. I also added Chia seeds, because in addition to being an Omega-3 powerhouse (*SEE FOOTNOTE), they add a little crunch as well. A couple other tweaks were made and after a few test batches I had a lovely gluten-free and low-carb Chia Flax Cracker.

Chia Flax Crackers

Printable Recipe

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 Minutes
Servings: 8 Servings, 3 Crackers Per

1. In bowl, combine ingredients. Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
  2. Evenly spread mix on parchment lined baking sheet.
  3. Bake at 350°F  for 15 minutes, remove from oven and cut into 24 even squares.
  4. Return to oven for 15 minutes, then flip crackers over and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Recipe Notes

There is a fine line between baked and crisp and burnt with these crackers, watch carefully the final minutes of baking.

*FOOTNOTE

Flax and chia seeds are a source of Omega-3 in the form of Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA). ALA is metabolized in the body into the Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosapentaenoic Acid (DPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). However, there is debate on how well the body converts ALA into EPA, DPA and DHA and whether or not we get elevated blood levels from this process.

I asked Dr. Doug Bibus about this specifically, as I know that some of my readers are quite smart and savvy when it comes to fatty acid metabolism. This was his response:

From a scientific standpoint we clearly metabolize ALA into EPA , DPA and DHA.  The big question is if we can get elevated blood levels of EPA and DHA seen with fish/fish oil consumers or Omega-3 scores/ratios that have more therapeutic levels.  When you eat a 1:1 ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 this may be possible. Limited conversion is an accurate statement when we are consuming 20 grams a day of Omega-6 (soybean oil, corn oil, etc.) as that directly competes with ALA.”

STAY TUNED FOR

Oh Mega: Part Three

We will discuss dietary strategies to increase Omega-3 status.

Comments

1. Diane says

Hi Vanessa
    I’m eager to try these crackers and wonder what size pan to use? That will help me know how thin to evenly spread the dough. Thank you for posting the recipe! Best, Diane

2. ramona says

Are the benifits of the fats lost with cooking the seeds. High temps. change and destroy the benificial properties of the fats. Although the healthful fiber remains. I’ve. learned a dehydrated cracker would be more healthy fatwise

• Vanessa says

I answered this question specifically in part II of my omega series: http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/02/oh-mega-part-two.html My source for the answer is Dr. Doub Bibus, who is known as a renowned expert on fatty acid metabolism. His response: “I think baking with ground flax and almond flour is a great option so long as it is stable. Flax has 40% oil by mass and 50% of that is ALA which can oxidize. Poorly prepared flax meal will oxidize. Almonds have more linoleic acid and are less prone to oxidation than ALA in flax. As long as heat is not excessive, over 325-350º F, you should be fine.”

3. Shannon O. says

Hi Vanessa,

If I wanted to make these using just the ground flaxseed meal rather than also adding the seeds, how much meal should I use? Thanks!

4. Biggi says

Vanessa, i was wondering if the Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos can be substituted with anything? I am not sure where i could buy this, and i have never heard of it… is important for the texture or flavor…???

thanks… i cannot wait to have crackers again…

• Lori says

I was going to ask the same question as Hannah! what about dehydrating as opposed to baking them, and do the seeds have to be soaked?

5. CurvyGurl says

Hi Vanessa!

I am a bit late to the party on this one, but wanted to say that this is a great cracker!! Exactly what I wanted. My mixture was spread a bit thick, but they still turned out fine. Yum, yum. Off to make hummus to go with them!

Love your site, by the way.

Does using flax meal as opposed to whole flax seeds or baking as opposed to dehydrating break down any of the fiber? I am trying to go low-carb and I love that flackers are almost carb neutral–I just want to make sure these are as well.

Thanks!

7. CurlyAnnie says

Just made these this afternoon, and oh, my, are they good! Greasing the paper is very important (hindsight being 20/20!) I found they were still quite soft after the 30 minute baking time, so I turned the oven down to 200 and let them sit while I puttered around doing chores…checked on them every so often, and when they were lovely and crisp…I ate most of them. I guess they’ll have to be an intermittant treat!

8. Judy says

Is the Coconut Secret Raw Organic Vegan Coconut Aminos, basically for flavor? Could I just use some more water or 1 T water and 1 T regular soy sauce? I want to make these crackers without buying any special ingredients. I have everything else. Thank you!