I am a deep dark rich chocolate lover. An obvious upgrade to the original healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe is to amp up the chocolate by simply adding more of it. Instead of adding more chips, I added more chocolate, in the form of dark cocoa powder and reduced the almond flour. After making a fresh batch of healthy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, I let my own tastebuds do the testing and then showed up at a Jim LaValle lecture with sweet treats for my Life Time Weight Loss friends. Feedback was good and I came home with an empty container. If you are a chocolate lover this is the cookie for you, with the combination of dark cocoa powder and 70% dark chocolate pieces you won’t be disappointed.
Just when I thought I had died and gone to chocolate cookie heaven I got one more idea. What else goes well with chocolate? We all know the Girl Scouts got something right when they created Thin Mints, and it wasn’t the “thin” part. I don’t think anyone would buy their cookies if they were called “fat” mints. Anyways, moving along…
Last week, I was standing on a kitchen stool doing some rearranging in our baking cupboard, when I noticed I had a fresh unopened bottle of pure mint extract. I moved it down a few shelves so it was more visible and have waited for the right inspiration to use it. Another family celebration over the weekend, this time my dad’s birthday, and I was inspired. Voilà, healthy Mint Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies.
On Sunday, my family gathered for a birthday celebration. I showed up with four dozen cookies and fresh made almond milk and once again left empty-handed. These healthy cookies were a hit with everyone, even the little kids. And to be perfectly honest, it makes me feel a little smug knowing my niece and nephews who are no strangers to sugary-filled treats were noshing on these cookies none the wiser!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 17 minutes
Makes: 2 dozen
- 2/3 c. Almond Flour
- 1/3 c. Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 c. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. Rumford Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
- 2/3 c. Smart Sweet Erythritol, Non-GMO
- 3 Large Organic Pastured Eggs
- 1 tsp. Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Pure Mint Extract (optional)
- 1/3 c. Nutiva Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin, Organic
- 1/2 c. Whole Foods Brand 70% Dark Chocolate Baking Chunks
- In medium mixing bowl, sift together almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
- In a separate bowl, with electric beaters on medium, cream together coconut oil, extract stevia and erythritol. Then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredient and mix until dough starts to form.
- To the dough add chocolate chips and mix with your hands.
- Divide dough and roughly shape into 24 balls.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheet at 350 for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and with the bottom of a glass slightly flatten cookie.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack.
- Enjoy with a glass of almond milk!