Cinnamon Raisin Two Minute Muffin

Not only is the One Minute Muffin recipe the most popular recipe on Healthy Living How To it is also the most searched term that brings people to this site. As I mentioned, when I first introduced this healthy gluten-free and low-carb bread substitute, I did not create the original recipe, rather, I put my spin on it. Instead of a muffin made exclusively with flaxseed meal, I came up with various adaptations by adding coconut flour and almond flour. Two of my favorite one minute muffins variations are the pumpkin muffin with pumpkin butter and chocolate snack cake with raspberry sauce. Today I introduce you to another minute muffin recipe with cinnamon and raisins, that smells and tastes as good as it looks!
Cinnamon Raisin Two Minute Muffin Image

Putting sugar content aside, momentarily I might add, raisins do have some redeeming nutritional qualities. In fact, author Jonny Bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S., lists them as one of The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. He states, “raisins have a smattering of nutrients like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, a decent amount of potassium and packs a nice antioxidant punch.” It’s important to note two things when it comes to raisins, one, grapes are believed to have a very high pesticide residue, therefore buying organic raisins is important and two, as already mentioned, raisins are high in sugar, making portion control important.

I’ve built in the portion control in this recipe for you. Twelve measly little raisins are about 5 g of sugar, but don’t despair, you can really spread the raisin love, by plumping them up before using them in this Cinnamon Raisin Two Minute Muffin recipe. It may not seem like much, but by soaking the raisins in water and then splitting them in half, you will get a little bit of sunshine in every bite.

PictureCinnamon Raisin Two Minute Muffin

Prep Time: 5 minutes*
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Serves: 1

*not including time to soak raisins

1. Soak raisins in hot water for 45 minutes to an hour to plump.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, sift together, coconut flour, almond flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
  3. Drain raisins, reserving water, and run a knife through each one cutting in half. Throw raisins in bowl with flours.
  4. Whisk together egg and raisin water and then add to flour mixture. Mix well.
  5. Swirl coconut oil around 4″ ramekin to coat and then add to batter and mix one more time.
  6. Spoon batter into oiled ramekin and microwave on high for two minutes.
  7. Remove from microwave with dish towel and invert on cooling rack.
  8. Let cool, slice in half, toast, and slather with ghee. Enjoy!

Comments

1. mina says

Like your website and was happy to see that you wanted all healthy and wonderful stuff etc for people…. then I saw your 2 min muffins and read through it to see how to make it and alas at the end you use a microwave
    Are you aware at how microwaves distort the molecular structure of the foods?? They destroy much of the nutrients and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time.
    I loved your idea but for me microwaves are a huge no no….

Hi Mina,
      Thanks for your comment. I have read research regarding microwave use and while a lot of what I believe goes against conventional wisdom, the microwave is a modern convenience where I am not convinced is as bad as you assert. Especially considering, it is a convenience I use on occasion. If you choose not to use a microwave, you can still make the recipe in the oven, 350 degrees F 15-20 minutes.

“Although you may have heard that microwaves kill nutrition, that doesn’t seem to be true. Microwave ovens usually don’t destroy nutrients in food. And in some cases, preparing food in a microwave might actually promote nutrient retention. Nutrients are leached from food during any form of cooking, especially when the food is cooked for a long period of time with high amounts of water. So, for example, boiling carrots might strip nutrients much more drastically than microwaving them, because the carrots’ nutrients might get washed away with the boiling water.” http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-microwave-cooking

2. Pat says

I tried these just a few minutes ago. Yummy but I made some adjustments lol. First I did not want to wait for the raisins to plump so I nuked them for 2 minutes. I did use 1 Tbls of coconut oil too. I had only 3 inch ramekins so I divided it between two. All went well but one was a little smaller than the other. My biggest mistake was NOT reading the full recipe and I did not toast them. I bet they would have been scrumptious had I not been in such a hurry. Will definitely try this recipe again and remember to toast them. Thanks for all your hard work!

3. Nancy A. says

These sound so good, and I am definitely going to make one. You have an excellent site and love your recipes!

4. Sandy Poster says

I really want to try these delightful looking muffins, I am glad to see that I can fix them in a conventional oven as my micro broke. I’m glad I read your comments on microwaves because I’m trying to decide weather or not to replace it. How can I know it is safe to keep using one?

5. Maria says

Sounds wonderful Vanessa. I can’t have nuts, so if I used only coconut flour would I have to increase a liquid anywhere?