I am interrupting today’s regularly scheduled blog post for a recipe request. Even though I’ve been working hard on an inspirational healthy living article about overcoming our feelings, I think we are going to have to stuff it (pun intended).
You see, my new friend Donella, requested Macaroons, Healthy Living How To style. I made my very first batch this morning and not only are they beautiful to look at, they are so delicious I cannot wait to share them. These even passed the discerning teenager tastebud test, so you know they are yummy!
If gorgeous pictures don’t make you drool, then I ain’t got nothing for you! Seriously, who needs to actually taste these sweet and coconutty creations, let’s just look at the pictures and call it a day…
Naw, who am I kidding. I’ve always been a little feisty and testy and love to tease, which is exactly what I do to the Healthy Living How To Facebook Page friends. Post a picture or two to tempt their tastebuds in hopes of hooking them in to try a recipe or two. Then, while they are here in my clutches, I can persuade them to live a little healthier and leave a little happier. If this is you, now you know my ultimate plan. I’m glad you are here and I hope my plan is working!
I know you want me to get to the recipe and I am, I am, just let me give shout outs and props first. You can thank my friend Donella for this recipe as she is the one who inspired, actually requested, I throw it together. I’ve never had a macaroon before, healthy or otherwise, so these weren’t on my recipe radar. If you have a recipe you would like a healthy makeover for, send your request my way, I’m always up for the challenge. Also, give Alton Brown a high-five as this is his basic macaroon recipe. I just replaced the sugar and sweetened coconut with healthier sugar-free alternatives.
Original Recipe by Alton Brown
Adapted by Healthy Living How To
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 4 Large Organic Egg Whites
- 1 Pinch Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 c. Smart Sweet Erythritol, Non-GMO
- 1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
- 8 oz. Let’s Do Organic Finely Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate Bar (optional)
- In a clean stainless steel bowl, with electric beaters, whip egg whites with salt until stiff peaks start to form.
- Add in stevia and erythritol and continue to beat until really stiff.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in coconut.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Outside should be golden and inside slightly soft.
- Let macaroons completely cool on rack and then drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.