I love walking. This summer I have walked more than ever, making it a goal to get 10,000 steps a day. I have been starting just about every morning with a 3 1/2 to 4 mile walk. My walking trail takes me through a park, alongside a farm with cows and corn and then finally through a housing development where there is one home in particular with the biggest and most beautiful garden I have ever seen.
Each morning the family is in the garden tending to it. If I had a garden, I would grow zucchinis and then I would make today’s recipe for low-carb, gluten-free, healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins.
Zucchini is the best known of the summer squashes. It resembles the cucumber in size and shape with a thin green or yellow skin. Summer squash provides a fair amount of potassium, carotene, and vitamin C. Zucchinis are about 95% water and can be added to your favorite muffin or bread recipe by decreasing the amount of liquid by about a third to compensate for the additional moisture. Which is exactly what I did with the zucchini I picked up at our local co-op over the weekend.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 6 muffins
- 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 1/4 c. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Hershey’s Special Dark 100% Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/4 c. Smart Sweet Erythritol Non-GMO
- 1/8 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
- 1 oz. Sunspire Organic Fair Trade 65% Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
- 2 Large Organic Eggs, Room Temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 c. Warm Water
- 1/2 c. Zucchini, Grated & Packed
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together all dry ingredients except chocolate chips and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients, eliminating all clumps and stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between six muffin tins, lined and lightly sprayed with non-stick spray (or use a Misto sprayer).
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Cool, serve & enjoy with homemade ghee.