In the food blog world, recipes come and go, just like fashions. Meatzza, basically low-carb, gluten-free pizza with a meat crust, was all the rage a while back. I introduced my variation of Meatzza over a year ago, and recently re-vamped it with great results.
Even though Meatzza is old news, I still wanted to share with you my recent creation. The new and improved recipe has no cheese in the crust and for those with sensitivities to cow’s milk, I topped this one with raw goat’s milk cheese. The secret to my Meatzza is still one of my favorite Penzey’s spices, Italian Sausage Seasoning and the homemade sauce.
Healthy Upgrade with Herbs & Spices
The most common herbs and spices, often added to our favorite dishes for flavor, also have considerable medicinal use. It is likely, these spices and herbs were originally added to foods for this very reason. In my article, The Spice of a Healthy Life, I list the medicines found on your spice rack. In today’s recipe I use basil and oregano as well as an Italian sausage seasoning that contains fennel seed and black pepper. All four of these spices score high in antioxidant capacity along with their imparted health benefits.
- Basil contains powerful antioxidant flavonoids and is a concentrated source of phytonutrients, which have been found to not only have antibiotic properties, but anti-inflammatory ones as well.
- Oregano is high in antioxidant activity, due to a high content of phenolic acids and flavonoids.
- Fennel seeds contain numerous flavonoid antioxidants like kaempferol and quercetin.
- Black pepper is known to have a great amount of antioxidant properties. It also has benefits against bacterial growth, particularly in the intestinal tract.
Every time you flavor your meals with herbs or spices you are upgrading the nutrient content of your food without adding a single calorie. You are taking something ordinary and turning it into something extraordinary by adding color, flavor, vitamins, and often medicinal properties.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb. Ground Pastured Pork, 80% Lean
- 1 Tbsp. Penzey’s Italian Sausage Seasoning
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 14.5 oz. Can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes with Basil and Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
- Organic Red, Yellow, Green Bell Pepper
- Organic Yellow Onion
- Black Olives
- Applegate Naturals Uncured Pepperoni
- Bella Vita Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Mt. Sterling Co-Op Creamery Raw Goat Cheese
- Throw all sauce ingredients into high speed blender and blend on high for one minute.
- Pour sauce into saucepan, bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- With hands mix together pork, egg and Italian sausage seasoning.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment and then pat sausage into desired shape about 1/4″ thick.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, dice up veggies and shred cheese.
- Top cooked crust with sauce, veggies and cheese, return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve, use any remaining sauce for dipping.