Healthy Recipe: Bulletproof Coffee

Bulletproof Coffee

Time for a Healthy Living How To Reader Q & A

Reader Asks

What do you put in your coffee? I am trying to get off the unhealthy flavored coffee creamers and think I am sensitive to dairy. Any suggestions?

My Response

First of all, you are very wise to ditch those unhealthy coffee creamers. I took a quick peek at the ingredient label of a common brand, only to see sugar and partially hydrogenated soybean oil listed among the first ingredients. So, bravo you, for wanting to ditch this health-robbing, dare I even call it, food and look for a healthy alternative!

I too suspected I was sensitive to dairy, but enjoyed heavy cream in my coffee so much, it took a gallbladder attack and allergy testing that confirmed my suspicion, to finally give it up. I tried several different non-dairy creations that were okay, some better than others, until I stumbled on Bulletproof® Coffee* and after a few weeks of playing with the recipe I landed on my perfect cup.

Here’s what you do…brew a nice strong cup of coffee and to that add 2 tsp. coconut oil, 1 tsp. ghee and liquid vanilla stevia to taste. If you have an immersion blender, like this one, whiz it up. No immersion blender, you can whiz in a regular blender (that’s what I do). The end result is a creamy dairy-free drink that rivals any fancy coffee house concoction without the unhealthy hydrogenated oils and sugar found in the flavored coffee creamers.

What the heck is ghee?

When it comes to dairy allergies, the milk proteins, casein and whey are the common culprits. Ghee is actually butter with not only the problematic proteins removed but also the milk sugar lactose. Ghee is rich in butyric acid which is great for healing the gut. And when one is experiencing sensitivities or allergies to food, it is pretty likely the gut needs some love.

You can make ghee or you can buy ghee. It is shelf stable and last for a year or more.

*The original “Bulletproof® Coffee” was created by Dave Asprey of The Bulletproof® Executive.

Comments

Memaw, great question. I don’t like the taste of coconut milk or coconut cream in my coffee. And I love it bulletproof style!

I’m about to start making this for hubby! I’m glad you posted a recipe, so I can try yours first. :)

He is still reliant on caffeine and is a recovering diabetic. Since caffeine is very disregulating for blood glucose levels, adding in the healthy fats is a great way to help balance out the detrimental effects of the caffeine. Coconut oil will give him a better boost of energy than coffee anyway!

2. debh says

I love adding MCT oil to mine and use Kerrygold grass fed butter to make my ghee. Yummy and good for you. Really don’t need breakfast!

3. Donna says

Not that particular one. Where do you get if from on the web? The one that comes up is from Vita Cost but is quit expensive to use that much in just one cup of coffee. Does Whole Foods carry another one?

4. chris says

I make mine with 14oz of strong coffee, 1T of Kerrygold unsalted butter, and 1T of MCT oil, and stevia to taste and use a stick blender. This combo is also very good with 14oz of hot water and a tsp of Green Tea Matcha Powder (I use Republic of Tea’s). I have found that the MCT has the same health properties of the coconut oil without the taste (MCT is totally flavorless) and without a slick on top of my drink as it cools.

5. Tawnya says

I’ve been using your coffee recipe for a couple of weeks now and really enjoy it. I especially liked making GHEE for the first time!

I’ve seen a couple of articles today about Bulletproof Coffee and their recipes measure the GHEE/coconut oil by tablespoons instead of teaspoons as yours does. I looked up the article by Dave Asprey and his recipe calls for tablespoons as well.

Have you had the coffee made by measuring the GHEE/coconut oil by Tablespoons and prefer the taste using lesser amount? I just want to be sure I’m making the right one. Appreciate your thoughts/input. Thank you!

6. Teresa says

This is exciting to me! I developed a dairy intolerance last year, but keep giving in to my cravings for coffee with real cream – then I have to deal with feeling unwell for days, but at the time it seems so worth it -lol. One question – I was recently told I have adrenal fatigue. As I’ve been trying to read up on it several resources recommended avoiding coffee. Any thoughts?

I understand the reason why some may want to give up coffee if experiencing adrenal fatigue. Speaking from my own experience, I did not give it up. However, I have never abused coffee. My drink of choice during the year leading up to the adrenal crash was sugar-free energy drinks. I most definitely ditched those and without certainty, I can say, I was addicted to them.

7. Kate says

Just made this on a cold winter’s day and WOW, was it ever good!! I don’t like coffee with cream, but this was a special treat!