Healthy Recipe: Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam

Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam | healthylivinghowto.com

Ok, so check this out…in less than 10 minutes you can make your own healthy jam without any added sugar. It is so simple. all you need is a cup of frozen fruit, water, chia seeds and stevia to taste. The recipe makes a half cup, but can easily be doubled or tripled. And if jam isn’t your gig, this makes a jelly as well. All you have to do is whiz it in a high-powered blender upon completion and then let it cool.

About Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are rich in omega-3*, soluble fiber and antioxidants. Chia seeds are an excellent source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, and copper. They have six times more calcium, eleven times more phosphorus, and five times more potassium than milk. Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants; chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol flavonols. These antioxidants are more effective than both vitamin C and E in their protective qualities.

*While chia seeds are known for their concentration of the short-chain omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, it is important to note, we also need the long-chain omega-3′s, EPA and DHA, which are found in fish and fish oil.

Click Here to Pin Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam

Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam | healthylivinghowto.com

To learn more about omega-3s and their importance, check out the series I wrote titled Oh Mega .

Other Healthy Living How To recipes that use chia:

Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 2 minutes

Yield: 1/2 Cup

Serving Size: 1 Tbsp.

Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam

1. In small saucepan over medium-high heat bring blueberries and water to low boil.
  2. With slotted spoon, smash blueberries until desired consistency.
  3. Remove from heat and add chia seeds.
  4. Stir until seeds are incorporated and begin to gel.
  5. Transfer to glass jar, stir again and add liquid stevia to taste (I added 21 drops).
  6. Stir before serving.
  7. Store in refrigerator for up to one week.

You can replace the blueberries with raspberries, blackberries or strawberries.

This Wild Blueberry Chia Seed Jam goes well on my gluten-free, low-carb One Minute Muffins

Click +1 Below. How do you use chia seeds?

Comments

• Marcy says

I used 1/2 cup Splenda granular in the batch of Blackberry I made today (I made a triple batch because I had a 3 cup bag of blackberries). It changes the carb count though if you count the carbs from the sweetener.

1. Jon in Maine says

Made a jar, it’s in the fridge cooling for am breakfast. Is that pic on a breakfast muffin or a one minute muffin? Also, the oven bacon is the BEST. So easy, fast evenly cooked and can make a lot if we have guests and not a few at a time in a pan. I’ll never pan fry again!

This was fantastic!! I used a whole bag of frozen, organic wild blueberries from Trader Joe’s and treated it as 3 cups (it was close) and enjoyed it on my pale, low carb pancakes. Two of my kids (the other one was still sleeping) wanted me to dallop large amounts on their oatmeal, made me so glad they were getting such healthy food in their bodies! I look forward to making it with other berries too, this will be made regularly at our house!!

Steph

3. Barb says

Vanessa,
    Would this work with rhubarb as well? My family loves strawberry rhubarb jam. (rhubarb is from our garden).

Also, tomato jam?

4. k. says

so the link to the chia vanilla pudding isn’t working and I can’t seem to find it on your website. Please share it or share the real link! Thank you!! :)

K. That was my mistake. Updated the post with the correct link. I apologize. Just wanted to make sure you know how to get to my recipe index as well…recipes are listed in both alphabetical and categorical order.

5. Jean says

You posted this at a time when I was musing about how to make something like a blueberry pie filling. Following your lead, I used chia for thickening a mixture of various berries. Given that I I just threw this together, and kind-of guessed at a starting amount for the chia, this came out very well. Thanks for prompting me to go the chia route.

6. Megan says

Hello!! I am in love with this recipe and how easy it is without sacrificing flavors! I was wondering how canning chia seeds work? I still am new with them and I didn’t know if it would effect canning jams/jellies? Could I can this recipe?

7. Lesley says

This looks wonderful, can’t wait to try it. Do you think it can be frozen if I make a larger amount? Also I have to say your One Minute Muffin is fantastic! Thank you for these recipes!

8. Kelly says

How many carbs and sugar is in it per serving?. I really miss candied yams with marshmallows at thanksgiving could you make a low carb sugar free recipe version of it?. I really love your recipes!.