How To Make The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg Using Your Oven

Would you believe me if I told you I have the secret to making the perfect hard boiled egg? A method that actually bakes (yes bakes, hint, hint) the yolk perfectly and results in a shell that is easy to peel? Well, I do!

How To Make the Perfect Hard Boiled Egg Using Your Oven | healthylivinghowto.com

I’ve seen this handy kitchen tip floating around Pinterest for quite some time, but before sharing it, I wanted to put it to the test. And since it worked with such fabulous success, today I am sharing it with you.

What’s so Healthy About Eggs?

“If you look up the nutrition facts for egg yolks, it reads more like a multi-vitamin than a normal piece of food. For instance, just 3 egg yolks, not including the whites, provides over 50% of your daily requirement for Vitamin D and Selenium, over 40% of Vitamin B12, Over 25% of Vitamin B5 and Phosphorous, and over 15% of Iron, Folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B2. It also provides 8 grams of protein and 7% of your daily omega 3 fats. They also contain the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that are believed to help prevent against degeneration and chronic disease. Egg yolks are so nutritious, that many doctors recommend using them to help wean infants off of breast milk. They are one of the few foods that contain high levels of Iron and DHA, two nutritional factors that are extremely important for developing infants.” Living Super Human

style="display:inline-block;width:336px;height:280px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-4761814573971397"
data-ad-slot="3625160462">

How to Make The Perfect Hard Boiled Egg

Step 1

Preheat Oven to 325 degrees F and place eggs in standard muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes.

Step 2

Using tongs, remove baked eggs from muffin tin and place in ice bath until completely cool.

Step 3

Dry off eggs.  Hit egg on counter top on both ends and then all around. The key here is to really crack the shell. I mean really crack it. Remove peel.

Step 4

Cut in half and sprinkle with Celtic sea salt (oooops not pictured).

Step 5

Enjoy!

Wanna Know How Your Eggs Measure Up?

Check out this resource by the Cornucopia Insitute: Organic Egg Scorecard

Click +1 Below If You Like Hard Boiled Eggs

Comments

How fresh Jen? Our pastured eggs are delivered weekly to our co-op from a local farm…they aren’t just laid though!

Yes! When I hard boil our pastured eggs from the co-op on the stove they are near impossible to peel. The oven baked method seems to be the trick, at least for me.

• Rebecca says

I haven’t noticed a difference in ease of peel based on freshness with this method. The ice soak immediately after does make a difference though.

• Diane in Wisconsin says

Need to amend my comment. This worked best with extra large eggs rather than large. The large got a little “over done” in my oven but still usable.

1. Kathleen Kessinger says

I have found that adding a tsp. of baking soda to the boiling water method of cooking even the freshest eggs makes them much easier to peel.

• Cat says

I love my eggs fresh out of our coop. However, they are nearly impossible to peel and even harder to crack. I cut back on the calcium chip we give them but we have so much naturally in the soil and environment, they are still hard to peel. I gotta try this.

2. Rena says

My mom raises ducks so she can have fresh duck eggs. She can’t do chicken eggs, but whatever bothers her about the chicken, doesn’t bother her about the duck. They are awesome, and creamy, and earthy, and fantastic made this way! I reap the benefits when they are laying like crazy in the summer. :) Happy egg eating.

3. Rebecca says

I use this method all the time now on our pastured eggs. When I’ve skipped the ice soak step (forgotten them in the oven), they do not peel as easy and the yolks get that grey shell. Mine only take 20 minutes at 325 in my toaster oven. I use my canning rack to set them on (after doing a couple test runs to get the timing right so they don’t explode).

Great photos and instructions. Thanks!

4. Lori F. says

I have just discovered steaming eggs. The peel practically falls off and the egg is so tender. Put a steamer basket(I have a collapsible one) in a pan, put just enough water to come to bottom of steamer basket. Put eggs in basket, bring water to boil, turn down to simmer and put lid on pan for 20 minutes. Put in cold water or ice bath. So, so easy to peel!

5. Adri Krehbiel says

I tried this today with my fresh eggs, we have our own chickens and it worked great! The 30 minutes was a little too long but I was able to peel the eggs!!! Thank you so much!!!

• Kathleen says

i tried this today only on six eggs just in case. the yellow turned out good, they were hard to peel and also they got little pit holes in them right after cooking. i did put them right away in a ice bath.

6. Julie says

I have been making my eggs for a while now and I love this method because I can bake the eggs along with other foods at the same time. I find the eggs are creamier and less rubbery this way.

I chop them up with a little olive oil in the morning, warm them in the microwave and they taste as fresh as if I had just made them.

7. Sandy says

I have another question. When I peel the eggs to eat them some of them have a little brown spot on the white. I guess it’s where the shell rests on the pan as it bakes in the oven. Has anybody else had that happen. It didn’t effect the flavor of the egg in any way, it just is a dark brown spot.

• Lindsay says

I have the same problem with the brown spots on the eggs skin. Would love tips if anyone has found a way to avoid that – hoping to bring deviled eggs to a dinner party, don’t want to brown spots although they don’t impact flavor. thanks!

• Dana says

I made them this morning and had some brown spots but I don’t think it will affect the taste. Very simple to make and fairly easy to peel! Thanks Vanessa.

• Lindsay says

I tried this method again, and put my silicon cupcake liners in the tin, and no burn spots! I think the egg against the metal causes it to burn.

8. Nikki says

Would this work if I’m going to color the eggs? I found a similar way of baking the eggs, only not using a muffin pan. You just set them right on the rack…..but they all cracked. Not great for trying to color them. I can never get my eggs to boil and turn out right. And advice is greatly appreciated!

Love the idea! My eggs are in the oven right now! This was done with fresh chicken eggs, right? I own chickens and they lay everyday but I have always had problems hard boiling my eggs and getting them to peel easily because they are so fresh….

I tried this and it worked well for hard boiling the eggs but I am sad to say they were still as hard as ever to peel! Like I said above, my eggs are super fresh so I usually don’t have luck peeling them no matter how they are cooked!

10. Barb says

Hi Vanessa,

My husband loves hard boiled eggs, as they are easy to carry in his lunchbox for a mid morning snack.

One trick I learned is to add a splash of vinegar to the water along with a pinch of salt, put on low heat and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, cover and turn the heat off. Set a timer – time is from when you put the lid on and turn the heat off.

6 minutes – soft and runny
    8 minutes – medium
    10 minutes – hard

Note: As as soon as water boils, put lid on and set a timer. Take the eggs out and put in ice water (unless you plan on eating them right away). When cooled off, then peel (if using for something like egg salad). Otherwise, when cool, store in shell in the refrigerator and peel as you go.

Something about the vinegar and a the little bit of salt keeps the yolk from turning that grayish color and also makes peeling the eggs easier. I don’t know if it makes a difference in regards to the freshness of the eggs.

• Barbara Hawk says

If they float, they are probably bad eggs. It means there is air inside. It doesn’t totally mean the egg is bad. The general rule is:
        If the egg stays at the bottom of the pan – it is fresh.
        If the egg is at an angle on the bottom – it is still fresh and good to eat.
        If the egg stands on its pointed end at the bottom – it is still safe to eat but best used for baking and making hard-cooked eggs.
        If the egg floats – it is stale and best discarded.

11. Karen Conner says

I have an electric oven and tried that before and got some brown on the bottom. Should I reduce the time to 25 minutes or maybe 23 minutes? I have learned to reduced the time than to the ones it mentions on the recipes. I will be doing the eggs tomorrow and color the eggs Saturday.

12. ren says

so should I put baking soda in the muffin tin water? I don’t have enough pots to boil over 36 eggs in a single layer of water. so im trying the oven method. One more question,, Do they smell?? I super good at making stinky hard boiled eggs and would like to be not good at it anymore.:)

• Susie says

Ren, you don’t put ANY water in the muffin tin. The suggestion for the baking soda or vinegar & salt was for the traditional way of boiling eggs. :)

13. Jenny says

What did I do wrong?? My 1 of my eggs exploded in the oven over all the other ones and 6 cracked? (Grocery store eggs that were about 1.5 weeks old)

14. Lindsey says

Did you poke a hole in the egg before placing them in the oven? Thank you for sharing! I am going to try this method ASAP. ;)

15. Myra says

How long are the eggs good for after cooking and then placing them in the refrigerator? Also, do you need to poke a hole in the end of the egg before cooking in the oven? This wasn’t mentioned in the original instructions.

16. Kelly says

Made these yesterday using your instructions.. I still had runny white parts :( I followed everything to the t. Should I increase temp or increase baking time? Or chill time? Suggestions?

I think I would check the temp of your oven first. It sounds like it may run low? How did the yolks turn out? Maybe then increase time just a couple minutes.

• Kelly says

Increased time was perfect thanks!! Nobody believes me when I tell them I bake my hard boiled eggs!!! They are so perfect!!! Thanks again!

17. Tamara says

This is terrible… I am the proverbial “Can’t boil an egg to save her life” gal. I can make almost anything else, but can’t seem to get a hard boiled egg to be able to peel well. I’ve posted about it on FB before, and had many a wonderful, kind, helpful friend share their “secrets” for a perfect egg with me. Many of them were the same. So, I tried, and flopped again. Gave up for a while, and saw this post. It reminded me of how several friends also recommended this method to me before, and I hadn’t tried it. I decided: THIS is it! I went straight to the oven and let it begin to preheat. When it beeped as preheated, I gave it 5 minutes more, just in case (and it’s a 2 year old oven that I cook in daily. I was just being cautious.). I then put the eggs in the muffin pan and put them in the oven. Set the timer and did all EXACTLY as stated, here. Flop. My eggs were UNDERdone. Maybe half-way done! The only difference is that I used stoneware muffin tins, because that’s all I have. But, I was worried that might make them cook faster, not less. I want to throw my hands up in surrender. But, I shall await tips. Or something. And, one day, I shall rally my courage to waste another dozen eggs…. again. Trust me.

18. grace says

Hi, I tried this method last night with six eggs. Since they are free range, the sizes were not all the same (best if choose same size :) ) which I believe effected my outcome. Two had a bit of soft whites and three were harder to peel. I won’t be bringing them as an appetizer today because I think the brown spots will scare people. We’ll eat those at home, and I’m doing the old fashioned boiled eggs now with the addition of pinch salt and splash vinegar. Happy Spring!

19. Meg says

I just made my easter eggs for coloring this way. I put a tablespoon at the bottom and it kept the brown spot from forming. Turned out perfect! I did have 1 egg crack but I wonder if it had a small crack in it i didn’t notice before. I will take 11 out of twelve though! That cracked egg gave me the chance to see how the yolk turned out. Now to prepare the rest of our easter celebration!!