Banana Chia Pudding

We’ve all heard the catchy jingle, ♫ Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia , sung during a television commercial for Chia Pets, the kitschy Christmas gift that sprouts plant-like hair. Yes, the same chia seeds that puts hair on a terra-cotta replica of Homer Simpson’s head is also an amazing ancient seed full of nutritional benefits that makes the perfect light and sweet summer dessert. No baking required. Chia seed pudding is an easy to make, fun to eat, healthy treat.

Banana Chia Pudding

About Chia Seeds

Chia seeds were originally cultivated by the Toltec and Teotiahuán civilizations. Later with the arrival of the Atzecs and Mayans in Mexico, chia became a dietary staple.

♥ Chia was not only recognized for its nutritional qualities but also for its invigorating properties and viewed as a sacred food and medicine.

Aztecs used flour made from roasted chia seeds in a variety of energizing gruels, beverages, and food bars.

Along with other Nahua natives, they also used chia whole, ground, raw, and roasted for a variety of ailments. They combined chia with many other herbs for medicinal purposes and used chia oil as an emollient for skin.

Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, antioxidants, and protein. These little seeds have the highest-known percentage of omega-3 among plants.

♥ Chia seeds are an excellent source of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, and copper. They have six times more calcium, eleven times more phosphorus, and five times more potassium than milk.

The most important antioxidants in chia are chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol flavonols. These antioxidants are more effective than both vitamin C and E in their protective qualities.

Click Here to Pin This

healthylivinghowto.com | Banana Chia Pudding

Banana Chia Seed Pudding

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 4 Servings

Light and perfectly sweet, healthy summer treat, that is dairy-free, low-carb and no sugar added.

1. To a blender, add almond milk and peeled banana.
  2. Whiz until blended and no chunks of banana remain.
  3. Add vanilla stevia until desired sweetness.
  4. Pour liquid into quart-sized jar with lid.
  5. Add chia seeds, cover and shake well.
  6. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes then remove, shake again, then back in the refrigerator.
  7. Chill for an hour.
  8. Serve as is or garnish with a few slices of fresh banana and top with coconut whipped cream. (see notes)

Almond milk is healthiest if made in your own kitchen. Click here for my simple recipe. If you are buying almond milk, read the ingredient label and avoid any that contain carrageenan, which is a known gut irritant. Click here for a list of almond milks that do not contain carrageenan.

I make coconut whipped cream using my Cream Whipper. Super simple, shake up a whole can of coconut milk really well then put it in the refrigerator. Once chilled, pour the whole can in the cream whipper, add vanilla stevia to taste, charge and dispense. Voila, dairy-free, healthy whipped cream.

Nutritional Information Per Serving: 80 calories, 5 g fat, 9 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 4 g NET CARBS, 2 g protein

Do you like Chia Pudding? Click below and give it a +1!

Comments

1. Natalie says

I made this last night and it was awesome!! Do you think you can do it with any fruit blended with the milk before you add the chia seeds?

2. Melissa Waldrop says

Made this last night and it was DELISH! Matter of fact, my 5 year old had it as part of his breakfast this morning.

Since I had coconut milk on hand, I used it and it worked perfectly! I think I’m going to add some chocolate to it and maybe even some almond butter – mmmm, chunky monkey pudding.

I didn’t read that the recipe was 4 servings worth, and I tripled it. So, we have quite a bit to enjoy (and experiment with) over the next few days. :-)

• Sandy says

Thank you Vanessa for your quick response. I did check my chia and the exp. date is 09/2014, I just bought it. It did gel a little and was absolutely delicious. Maybe I was expecting it to be set, like pudding. At any rate I will definitely try it again. Thanks again, Sandy

3. megan says

Mine is super runny! seems like slightly thicker almond milk. I just shook it up again and will let it sit more in the refrigerator.
    Maybe my expectations were for it to be thicker. Is it supposed to be the consistency of thick almond milk?
    also the top layer is more milky and the bottom is thicker.

A 1/4 cup of chia seeds is only 4 tablespoons. You could either reduce your milk to 1 cup or increase your chia to 6 tablespoons.

I have a chia seed pudding recipe that I use and it calls for 1 cup of almond milk to 4 tablespoons of chia, and 1 tsp. of maple syrup (if you want. I don’t add the syrup and it’s tasty.) and it turns out very nice, not runny. I also add cocoa to mine and it’s good :-)

If you want to continue using 1 1/2 cups of milk just increase your chia to 6 tablespoons.
    If you cut down to 1 cup of milk, use the 4 tablespoons (or 1/4 cup) of chia seeds.

5. camille says

made this this morning and I didn’t add sweetener (my vanilla almond milk & banana had enough sweetness!) Hubby also loved it!

6. Kelly says

Vanessa, any problem with whizzing it all together in th Blendtec? I hate to chew chia seeds then they get stuck in my teeth! What do you think??

7. Kara says

I made this a few hours ago. After reading comments from other readers, I made it with an additional two tablespoons of chia see. I also used almond/coconut milk. I left out the stevia since others said it was plenty sweet. I think I would have liked it sweeter :), but it was good. After having about 1/4 of it, I realized peanut butter would also be the perfect addition.