5 Things You Can Do To Succeed at Being YOU!

5 Things You Can Do To Succeed At Being You | healthylivinghowto.com

When I started Healthy Living How To a little over two years ago, my intention was always to be more than a food blog. So while the beginning days were about building my healthy recipe database, the past year and more specifically the past six months, I have focused on highlighting other aspects of healthy living.

One of the areas I have grown the most, on my healthy living journey, is what I would call, “succeeding at being me”. And today I would like to share with you my advice for succeeding at being YOU!

5 Things You Can Do To Succeed At Being You

1. Stop saying or thinking negative things about yourself.

No really just stop it. And if you do, counter it with a positive, not just one positive, but several. The reason is our brain processes negative and positive information differently. And because of this we seem to hold onto the negative stuff and forget the positive.  In the book How Full is Your Bucket, the authors use the theory of the dipper and the bucket. It goes something like this… Each of us has a bucket that is constantly emptied or filled, depending not only on what others say or do to us, but what we we say and do to ourselves. When our bucket is full, we feel great. When it’s empty, we feel awful. Every time we say or think negative thoughts about ourselves (or about others — yes others) we empty a little from our bucket. Like a cup that runneth over, a full bucket gives us an optimistic outlook and healthy energy.

2. Don’t compare yourself with other people.

Pastor Steven Furtick puts it this way, “one reason we struggle with insecurity…we’re comparing our behind the scenes to everyone else’s highlight reel.” There is not another YOU in this whole wide world. Embrace who you are. While learning from others’ success and failures can help one succeed, comparing ourselves tends to only reinforce a negative self-image.

3. Find something you like to do and do it over and over.

Each and every one of us has something we like to do. What is it that makes you happy when you do it? Identify the things you enjoy and make time to do them.

5 Things You Can Do To Suceed At Being You | healthylivinghowto.com

4. Have the courage to be different and deal with criticism.

Be your authentic self instead of a people-pleaser. There are always going to be critics, instead of letting criticism drag you down, use it to fuel your convictions. I personally have found life to be much easier knowing and accepting not everyone is going to like me or agree with me.

5. Don’t let the way another person treats you determine your worth.

Dr. Phil was famous for saying “we teach people how to treat us”. If the people in your life treat you in an undesirable way, figure out what you are doing to reinforce, elicit or allow that treatment. Then set up some boundaries and enforce them.

So there you have it, my advice for Five Things You Can Do To Succeed at Being YOU!

Click +1 Below. What would you add to the list?

Comments

1. Diane says

That’s awesome! I have been feeling pretty down on myself lately. Cause I have been working 2 jobs that I really don’t like, and don’t have anytime for myself. Working, eating, and sleeping consist of my whole life is getting overwhelming. I am going on vacation to my sister’s house and I am going to relax, detox and refocus on what is important to me and try and balance out my life so I can smile again. I love your posts!!! Thanks!

Thanks, Vanessa! I’ve been on that same journey recently; I love how you can capture the essence of it! Great, useful tips!

3. Gladys says

Ah, this is the Deserderata in modern form.

I love it…the words are just as meaningful today….and they were in the 70’s when this poem was released as a “45” record.

Glad

4. Melanie says

Wow! You are such a wonder :) I needed these five things today!! Thanks SO much! Appreciate all you do.

5. Attila says

Hi Vanessa!
    I am following especially the firts two points. I will focus on them and going to live according them

6. diane says

Vanessa, you’ve become my “go to” site. Whether it be for wisdom or a healthy, tasty treat… thank you for being YOU.

I found your article through a google search. Very well written and food for thought. My favorite bit is the quote: “one reason we struggle with insecurity…we’re comparing our behind the scenes to everyone else’s highlight reel.” Thank you for sharing it.

Cheers.

I really appreciate this post Vanessa, #1 is my greatest weakness. Every single day I go back to the worst time in my life. I need to stop, starting now. Thank you.

Yay! This is great and something I learned a few years ago after I got really sick. I’m a very introverted person and was never allowed to be myself. I was always trying to be super outgoing and on the go all the time working a lot and having lots of things planned. Eventually, I just got burned out and got really sick because I was eating tons of processed foods and crap because I didn’t have time to do anything else. After I got better I decided to just be myself. I cut my hours at work, starting saying no, and trying to make everyone happy. Now, I’m working more on pleasing myself and doing the things I love. I embrace my introverted side and live a really simple life. My friends and family don’t agree. But that’s okay. We’re all different. And it’s OKAY! :) I’m trying to preach this to a friend of mine who is similar to me and struggling with being himself, but it’s not working very well. He’s caving in to the pressures of society and his health is being affected by it. I keep trying though.

Wonderful as God has been speaking the same thing to me lately.

The only thing I would add to your list…. PUSH through the FEAR, do not let it hold you back from being you or from running the race that is yours.

Thank you Vanessa! Glad that you are you.