5 Fatty Foods That Are Actually Healthy

5 Fatty Foods That Are Actually Healthy

The body needs saturated fat. It is necessary for many metabolic processes — cell membranes need saturated fat to function properly and our heart muscle actually prefers using saturated fat for energy. In 2010, a large meta-analysis (21 studies with nearly 350,000 subjects), published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, concluded there is no association between saturated fat and heart disease. This meta-analysis opened the door to embrace what generations before us knew about nutrition, fat is not the enemy in the war on American’s waistlines, it’s the high intake of processed carbohydrates and excess consumption of sugar and trans-fats.

If you are ready to jump off the low-fat bandwagon and ditch processed foods for real food, then you will be sure to enjoy today’s post — five fatty foods that are actually healthy.

5 Fatty Foods That Are Actually Healthy

1. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain fatty acids which cannot be stored in the body. Instead, they get broken down and are used for energy production. The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil are lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid. Lauric acid has the greatest antiviral activity. Nearly 50% of the fat found in coconut is composed of lauric acid. Caprylic acid is a potent yeast fighting substance. It is very effective in eradicating candida and other fungi. Capric acid has strong antimicrobial properties which can only be obtained by ingesting.

I recommend this resource to learn more about the healing power of coconut.

2. Heavy Cream

If you tolerate dairy, heavy cream, is amazing. Most people don’t realize this, but much of the research that shows people who consume dairy tend to weigh less, has been based on people who drink full-fat dairy products, not low-fat or non-fat dairy. Outside of the US, the majority of the rest of the world consumes only full-fat dairy products. Dairy fat is rich in conjugated linoleic acid, more so in grass-fed dairy than in conventional dairy, which has been shown to help people shed fat and gain muscle.

3. Egg Yolks

Look up the nutrition facts for egg yolks, and you will find, it reads more like a multi-vitamin than a food that has been demonized due to its saturated fat content. Just 3 egg yolks, not including the whites, provides over 50% of your daily need for Vitamin D and Selenium, over 40% of Vitamin B12, over 25% of Vitamin B5 and Phosphorous, and over 15% of Iron, Folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B2. These same three egg yolks also provides 8 grams of protein and 7% of your daily omega 3 fats. Egg yolks also contain the carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants believed to help prevent against degeneration and chronic disease.

4. Butter

Butter is rich in the healthy fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, which are critical to bone, brain, heart, and immune system function. Butter from grass-fed cows contains the cancer-fighting fatty acid conjugated linolenic acid which aids in weight loss and has been shown to slow the progression of some types of cancer and heart disease. Loaded with short chain fatty acids such as butyric acid–a fatty acid which is believed to prevent cancers and tumors – butter helps restore the integrity of the gut lining, reduces inflammation, has anti-viral properties, and has been shown to benefit those with gut disorders such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.

If sensitive to dairy, I recommend ghee, which is made from butter and imparts the same benefits, only the dairy proteins are removed.

5. Avocado

Avocados are a good source of the mineral potassium which is essential for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, muscles, nerves and digestive system. While bananas are often recommended for their potassium status, ounce for ounce, avocados have bananas beat. Per ounce, bananas have 100 g of potassium, meanwhile, avocados have 144 g. In addition to saturated fat, avocados contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, similar to the fat found in olives and olive oil and found to improve insulin sensitivity and play a role in the prevention of metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes.

If you liked this post, click below and give it a +1

Leave a comment below and tell me, what healthy fatty food would you add to this list?

Comments

I recently started getting a ton of leg Charlie horses and just sore calfs in general. Everyone of course tells me to eat a banana…but I don’t eat them the same way you don’t. So I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what I had been eating with potassium that I had stopped eating. Then I realized it was avocados. A few months ago I ate one a day but haven’t in a while. I had no idea until just recently that they were so rich in potassium. Who needs bananas when you have avocados lol

• LcHf says

The thinking that saturated fat is unhealthy is outdated and false. Fact Dr. ancel keys was the afther of the Lipid Hypothisis – he falsified his results – which has been demonstrated. However his reccomendations formed the basis of government advice from the 1970’s. saturated fats particularly animal fats are essential for the human body – it is what we evolved with. Beliving saturated fatty acids are bad is the same as thinking the earth is flat.

2. Deb says

I’m constantly trying to figure out ways to get coconut oil into my diet, but the flavor is horrible to me. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

• ALLY says

Hi, I have tried refined coconut oil and still can’t having it straight. Use coconut oil in baking and cooking. The other flavours should drown out the coconut oil. I recently made a caramel slice that used a fair bit of coconut oil and I loved it. I also cook most of my meats in coconut oil because I flavour them with sauces or garlic and am not able to taste the oil. I will be attempting to use it in smoothies so that I get the benefits (without heating it) but not the flavour.

• Marguerite says

Hi,
        Try Jarrow’s coconut oil, it has absolutely no coconut flavor and all the benefits of the oil. I go to Trader Joe’s and get the coconut oil that does have flavor for when I want that yummy flavor. I bake with it, it’s our favorite. The only drawback is the Jarrow’s has a pretty icky smell when you stick your nose in the container! Don’t stick your nose in the container… :)
        Well, also I like the Trader Joe’s because it comes in a glass jar and I set it in hot water and make it liquid which is so much easier to bake and cook with. You shouldn’t do that to a plastic container…
        Good luck and by the way, I order my health supplies from Vitacost. They are pretty reasonable and have great sales all the time and I can find just about everything I need…except good vanilla beans that are not from Madagascar! Good health!!!

I use 2T of vco and 2T of butter and 2T of heavy cream in my morning coffee (enough for 2 cups) – I whir it in my magic bullet and can’t even tell thevco is in there. I balk at taking it straight, too.

• Barb says

I do the same but with evco and full fat coconut milk. If you don’t like the coconut taste, use refined coconut oil as some people have suggested and the cream/butter like Becky mentioned! You’ll never need a store-bought latte again!

This is not medical advice. You should consult with a knowledgeable integrative doctor or progressive dietitian. If you want to share where you live, I might be able to make a recommendation.

That said, sugar, especially fructose, has been shown to be the most problematic in the case of fatty liver. That’s the first place to look. From there, anything you can do to lower triglyceride levels should be helpful.

In a small percentage of the population, saturated fat tends to raise blood lipid levels, so you may want to limit the foods above, aside from the avocado, but you probably don’t need to eliminate them. Eating high fat foods with easily digested carbohydrates like flour tortillas, toast, juice, etc makes it easier to drive up lipid levels, so again, be careful of the unnecessary carbohydrates.

I’ve worked with a lot of dietitians over the years who saw dramatic changes in their clients fatty liver conditions by adopting a lower carb diet, eating a lot of non-starchy vegetables, using fish oil, etc.

The bad news is that you’ve developed it. The good news is that a lot of people find they can quickly reverse it with the right choices. Of course, don’t overlook the value of exercise as well.

3. Teej says

I have high cholesterol numbers and my Aetna insurance provided me a dietician, she told me never coconut oil, yet I heard otherwise. Also heard about the fats posted above were actually goid, it’s the processed carbs to avoid….who’s right? Anyone know the truth? LDL is my high one. Oh and like the replies above, esp Tom, very informative overall. Thx

4. Patricia says

I don’t need convincing that the mentioned foods are good for you and for me low carb is the way to go for weight loss…….but I have already a lot of fat to lose so although eating these fats aren’t fat causing how does my body fat get used up when eating these fats? It’s hard to wrap my head around this part…….I certainly lose faster not eating added fat……..thanks for any insights, I appreciate your site!

5. Camilla says

Which brand of butter do you recommend if I don’t chose ghee? For cooking I always use coconut or organic grass-fed butter, but I would like a good alternative for a bread spread, any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

6. Rosa says

I give a 1 to this article !!! and yes, coconut oil, avocado real butter organic, olive oil, avodado oil, nuts, seeds like ajonjoli, raw milk are good sources of good fats.

7. Marguerite says

Thanks for the information, I follow Beyond Diets and she has all the same information. Just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, still working on what and what not to eat. Exercise and diet are key. Converted my house and family to healthy eating. Real butter, cook with only coconut oils, both flavored and non, lots of eggs, avocados, all kinds of healthy grains for baking, lots of salads and veggies! Have been baking Paleo style, grain free and loving the treats!

8. sonia says

eat coconut oil each morning before I treadmill. lots of energy from that and a full tummy. butter, avocados, olive oil are on my diet; low carb of course. Minus 80 pounds so far and eating great.

9. coyoteblue says

I love to eat warm old fashioned oats for breakfast. I put 3 Tabl of organic extra-virgin Coconut oil in while it is
    hot. I then put in a Tabl of Flaxseed Meal and it absorbs the oil. Coconut oil is soooo good for the brain.

10. Deb Vaughn says

This is going to sound strange, but I take the coconut oil and sprinkle it with pink himilayan salt and eat it like peanut butter. I HATE coconut, but the better brands have no flavor and I love salty things, so this has worked for me.