How To Cure A Sinus Infection Naturally

How To Cure A Sinus Infection Naturally | healthylivinghowto.com

How Sinus Infections Occur

Sinus infections occur when the mucous membranes in your nose and sinuses become irritated by a cold, allergy, pollutants or exposure to dry or cold air. This leads your membranes to become inflamed while stimulating your mucous glands to secrete more mucus than usual. As mucus accumulates in your sinuses, it can easily become infected.

But this is all on the surface.

All infections, including sinusitis, appear when certain health principles, such as eating a healthy diet, dealing with stress, and taking time to relax, are not followed.

This dampens the strength of your immune system and allows bacteria and fungus (another primary cause of sinus infections) to take hold in your nose and sinuses. And when it does, you can be left battling fatigue, sinus pressure, post-nasal drip, and thick mucus making it difficult to breathe.

Top Ways to Avoid Getting a Sinus Infection

1. Avoid eating sugar or grains, as detailed in my nutrition plan.

How To Cure A Sinus Infection Naturally | healthylivinghowto.com2. Consume good quality krill or fish oil, high in omega-3 fats DHA and EPA.

3. Eat coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal. However, be careful with which oil you choose, as many coconut oils contain fungal toxins. This is because they are commonly made with copras, or dried coconuts, which are often contaminated with mycotoxins. So in order to fully enjoy the benefits of coconut oil, you will want to be sure that you find a company that uses only fresh coconuts to make their oil.

4. Avoid eating these top 10 food additives.

5. Get proper sleep.

6. Get regular exercise.

If you suffer from sinus infections and other sinus issues often, I highly recommend you also look into the emotional origins of this problem.

Emotions are directly tied to your physical health, and new advances in this field are allowing us to pinpoint very precisely which emotional challenges are spurring your physical ones.

For instance, Dr. Ryke Geerd Hamer, the creator of German New Medicine, has shown that sinus problems are triggered by an emotional “stink conflict,” which could be a severe emotional reaction to an actual odor, or a symbolic feeling that “this situation stinks!”

The sinus infection occurs once you have resolved the emotional conflict, and is actually a part of your body’s healing process. So please do take the time to get to the bottom of any emotional problems that are ailing you.

Natural Treatments for Sinus Infections

If you’ve already come down with a sinus infection, you now know that antibiotics are probably not the answer. Taking them is unlikely to speed your recovery, and will definitely contribute to the growing problem of antibiotic-resistance.

Fortunately, there is a full arsenal of tools available at your fingertips that will soothe your symptoms and get you on the road to recovery. My past article How to Flush Away Sinus Ills details seven of them, and here are the first three:

1. Drink hot liquids, such as tea or hot chicken soup. It will help moisturize your mucous membranes, speeding up the movement of your cilia and thus washing mucus out of your sinuses more quickly.

2. Apply warm compresses to your face, three times a day for five minutes. A small towel soaked in warm water, placed over your face below and between your eyes, will help increase the circulation in your sinuses, which will also help speed up the movement of your cilia.

3. Irrigate your sinuses. Make sure you use a saline solution that does not contain benzalkonium. Benzalkonium is a preservative that can impair nasal function and might sting and burn. To make your own preservative-free saline solution, add one teaspoon of table salt to one pint of distilled water. Netti pots are readily available and can help facilitate nasal irrigation.

This article was brought to you by Dr. Mercola. Founder of the world’s #1 natural health site.

Click +1 Below. Then share How To Cure A Sinus Infection Naturally.

Comments

1. LynneZ says

OK, this is awesome info, and I want to pin it, but I could barely read it, let alone save the article, with that gross picture you paired with the article. Sorry, some of us are wimpy babies who can’t handle ugly disgusting stuff lol.

2. Kat says

One way to empty the nasal cavity that has worked for me is to get into the shower and allow hot water to hit me in the forehead and nose area. Including the forehead area caused my sinus’ to practically rocket out it’s content’s and it wasn’t pretty, but it sure felt good. I’m about to hop in again, I’m excited for another clearing of the masses – lol.

3. jodi says

this article couldn’t have come at a better time as i woke up this morning with a horrible sinus headache and infection and was just racking my brain as to what remedy at whole foods i should go buy! thanks for the info :)

I used essential oils on my last sinus/respiratory issue. Lemon, R.C., Peppermint, Thieves, Oregano, Frankincense carteri and ImmuPro … kicked it to the curb! Only pure therapeutic oils!

5. Kimberly says

We just went through an awful sinus infection. One of the things that I felt like helped me the most was using colloidal silver as a nose spray. I use the sovereign silver brand and they have a vertical spray bottle. I had been suffering for days. It felt like all the bones in my face were broken. Then it dawned on me to use the silver since its anti bacterial/fungal/viral/parasitic. I started doing 2-3 sprays in each nostril about every couple hours in the afternoon and by late that evening I was able to blow tons of junk out of my sinuses, all the pressure came off my face and by the next day I felt LOADS better.

6. Arlene says

Vanessa,

I have also heard that oil pulling can help sinus infections. I am with you on the Neti pot and compresses. I just started oil pulling this week.

7. Vanette says

If you have an infection, hot compresses can actually make the pain worse since they can cause the sinuses to swell more. I found this out when the heat from a hair dryer caused my sinus pain to skyrocket. My doctor told me heat will worsen the sinus headache/pressure of an infection, but cold compresses sometimes feel good since they may reduce swelling. I have had good luck with Kali Mur and Ferrum Phos cell salts (found at stores that carry homeopathic medicine such as Whole Foods or online). Both can reduce inflammation quite noticeably and would be a nice compliment to many of the other remedies mentioned.

8. Renee says

What about pressure or stuffed up ears? I’m dealing with this right now. Other sinuses seem fine, but my ears hurt & are stuffed up.

• Jules says

I rinse my ear canals with 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water. One minute on each side, allowing it to gurgle while by head is tilted to each side. I do it over the sink or in my shower. Many infections enter the body through the ear canals! Also, continue to use nettipot b/c your sinuses run together and it can help clear your ears, too. Also, a few drops of warm olive oil in each ear afterwards is helpful! God bless!

9. Dawn says

Something else to consider is that your “sinus headache” may also be dry sinus passages. I was talking to my Dr. about sinuses a while back and he commented that he gets people in all the time insisting they have a sinus infection but they don’t. He “prescribes” using a neti pot, gentle saline sprays and warm showers to moisten and loosen things up first before trying anything else.

• Helen Connolly says

Until I began drinking lots of water (at least 8 large glasses a day) I suffered from sinus headaches and completely blocked sinuses (per x-rays) for years….lasting three to four days and nights, worse possible pain, and recurring in a few more days. No doctor that I went to (and there were many) suggested I drink lots of water. I started drinking the water for other reason and lo and behold, I have never had another sinus headache in way over 10 years…it was awhile before I noticed this, but what a wonderful relief. Recently had an MRI of my brain for other reason, and the neurologist said “your sinuses are completely open, no blockage” while commenting on the MRI

10. Aimee Davids says

I also like to soak in Epsom Salts in hot water with about 1/2 cup baking soda (helps get ride of toxins) and ginger (makes you sweat more so your body releases more toxins).

Of course I should admit that I think Epsom Salts are the cure for everything.

11. jz says

Letting any water in your nose can lead to catching a fatal amoeba. They say to use filtered water for neti pots and irrigation also hot shower water isn’t always safe.

• Kat says

That’s why you ALWAYS boil the water and let it cool before you irrigate your nasal passages, however that being said (and done by myself personally every single time), the chances of coming into contact with that amoeba are extremely rare in the United States.

12. Heather says

Love all of the great info! Just wanted to add that for those who experience reoccuring sinus issues, food sensitivities/allergies may be the instigator. Get tested or try an elimination diet :)

13. Cheryl says

This is one of the only illnesses I’ll consider antibiotics for, so if I can heal naturally, I’d love it!

1. […] It’s been known since the last century that antibiotics have been proven to not help you recover from a sinus infection (sinusitis) any faster than a placebo. Still, Americans spend nearly $6 billion every year on health care costs related to sinusitis, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Imagine if you could put some of that money back into your pocket and address a sinus infection from a foundational level. Click To Keep Reading […]