Our modern-day high-tech, fast-paced lifestyles have elevated stress to epidemic levels. Our lives have become littered with psychological, physical, nutritional and environmental stressors, which in turn assault our body with chronic levels of stress hormones. Initially, there is some ebb and flow, however if stress becomes chronic bad things happen. Do you know how to push the pause button on stress?
10 Healthy Tips To Push The Pause Button On Stress
- Deep breathing. Take a deep breath. Hold it. Now let it out slowly. Try counting to 10 as you let out your breath. Feel the tension and stress flowing out of you with your breath. Repeat 10 times. This activates the vagus nerve which actually calms your mind.
- Self-massage. I like to massage my shoulders, neck, head, lower back. I recommend getting a foam roller and doing some self-myofascial release!
- Take a walk. When I am feeling stress and tension build up I like to walk. Walking not only enhances your health but it reduces the stress hormone cortisol as well.
- Get outdoors. Fresh air does wonders for the spirit as does sunshine. Even in the cold of winter, the cool crisp air can clear the lungs and restore balance.
- Take a day off. If you’ve been burning the candle at both ends take the day off. Disconnect from the world and focus on just being you. Go shopping. Meet a friend for coffee or lunch.
- Meditate or pray. People who pray or meditate daily have been found to have lower stress hormones which results in aging well, living longer and being able to handle adversity better.
- Read or watch a movie. Reading is a great way to relax and reduce stress. According to some research, just six minutes of reading for pleasure can be enough to reduce stress levels by more than two thirds.
- Love. Spend time with those who love you and support you. Don’t forget about our furry friends, they give unconditional love and it’s scientifically proven, pets reduce stress.
- Disconnect. Turn off the phones, turn off the computer, and shut off the outside world for a little while. These things just raise your stress level.
- Take a nap. Nothing puts the pause on stress more than an afternoon power nap.