The message to brush, floss and gargle is hammered into us at a young age. For many the dental routine is performed religiously, often several times a day without thought for the safety of the products we are using. What many don’t know is in our attempts to fight off tooth decay and bad breath we may actually be using dental products that not only don’t live up to their promises for healthier teeth, but that may also be hazardous to our health.
The common, questionable synthetic ingredients found in many toothpastes include [Source]:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate a foaming agent known to irritate tissues. SLS increases skin permeability allowing other chemicals to be absorbed more readily into the body.
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate commonly contaminated with dioxin and reacts with other ingredients to form nitrosamines.
- Triclosan originally registered as a pesticide and is linked to cancer, disrupts thyroid hormones and affects heart function.
- Fluoride is linked to cancer, it is a systemic poison and damages the thyroid.
Healthy Living How To Recommends: 10 Facts About Fluoride You Need To Know
DIY Toothpaste Recipes
If you are ready to ditch your toxic toothpaste here is a collection of DIY toothpaste recipes from some of my “crunchy” friends.
10 DIY Toothpaste Recipes
- DIY Remineralizing Toothpaste – from The Paleo Mama
- Homemade No Fluoride Toothpaste – from Small Footprint Family
- Natural Antibacterial Toothpaste – from LA Healthy Living
- Homemade Toothpaste – from The Elliott Homestead
- Homemade Toothpaste – from The Crunchy Moose
- DIY Whitening Peppermint Toothpaste – from Happy Healthnut
- Squeezable Homemade Toothpaste - from Wellness Mama
- Make Your Own Toothpaste – from Grass Fed Girl
- Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste – from Food Renegade
- Cinnamon Nutmeg Toothpaste – from Nourishing Joy
- DIY All Natural Teeth Whitener – from Body Unburdened