Soup is one of those meals for me that is both filling and satisfying, yet is also emotionally comforting. The season doesn’t matter, nor the weather really, although outdoor dampness can definitely spike the urge!
This soup was inspired by a need for something a little lighter as the transition from winter to spring takes shape. But the chill in the air still called for a rich broth and a hearty feel at the same time. The combination of the dark onion flavored broth and the light chicken meatballs is a perfect pairing that left my family wanting seconds and thirds.
Chicken Meatballs in Onion Broth with Vegetables
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 c. Cashew or Almond Meal
- 1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 4 c. Beef Broth
- 4 Large Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Larg Onion, Diced
- 1 c. Chopped Spinach
- 2 Tbsp. Avocado Oil
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Preheat oven to 400 degres F.
- Start with making your meatballs by beating egg, adding in seasoning, then ground chicken, and cashew meal.
- Shape into 12 equal-sized meatballs, place on lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Now add oil and diced onion into stockpot over medium/high heat.
- Allow onion to cook until nicely browned and slightly caramelized.
- Add in garlic, carrots, beef broth, and bay leaf and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Add in chicken meatballs and chopped spinach and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Reduce heat, serve and enjoy!
About the Author
Jennifer of Predominantly Paleo is a wife and mother of 3 in pursuit of better health for her family. After being gluten free for 4 years and having a multitude of chronic health issues, she realized there was still a lot of junk in her pantry and change was needed. Jennifer began feeding her family more meals from whole foods and less from boxes. Her recipes are “predominantly paleo”, meaning they are free of grain, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar, but make allowances for a few treats and sweets. You can follow Jennifier on her healthy journey here: Website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram