With Valentine's Day right around the corner, stores are getting ready to sell millions of bottles of lotions and perfumes, almost all full of parabens, petrochemicals and phthalates. These toxic, chemical-laden products are linked to sperm damage, hormone disruption and triggering sensitivities to asthma, wheezing headaches and contact dermatitis. [source]
That's just not sexy.
Instead of buying a commercial product for yourself or your partner, why not try making your own vanilla scented homemade lotion with healthy ingredients, a scent widely purported to be an aphrodisiac!
This healthy homemade lotion has a lasting fragrance, as well as making skin silky smooth.
Healthy Ingredients in this Homemade Lotion Recipe
You can use any carrier oil in this homemade lotion. All carrier oils have different benefits, but they are moisturizing. I used apricot seed oil, but castor oil, jojoba, grapeseed or even olive oil would work.
Coconut oil is anti-viral, antimicrobial, antibacterial and protects against sunburn, blocking about 20% of harmful UV rays. It works perfect in this homemade lotion recipe.
Beeswax is non-allergenic (unless you have a specific allergy to bees! If so, do not use beeswax!), emollient, locks moisture into skin and provides a protective barrier on the skin from harsh environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold.
Shea Butter has anti-inflammatory properties, protects against sunburn, can aid in healing minor cuts and abrasions. It is also incredibly moisturizing perfect for homemade lotion.
The scent of vanilla has numerous benefits. “Vanilla fragrance reduces stress and anxiety. Cancer patients undergoing Magnetic Resonance Imaging – a diagnostic procedure known to be stressful – reported a massive 63% less anxiety when heliotropin (a vanilla fragrance) was administered during the procedure.” [source] Vanilla is also widely purported to be a powerful aphrodisiac, even supposedly curing the impotence of 342 participants in a German study in 1762! [source]
Healthy Homemade Lotion Recipe
- 1/4 cup any carrier oil (find carrier oils here)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (find high quality coconut products here)
- 1 oz beeswax (either grated or in pellet form) (buy beeswax here)
- 2 teaspoons shea butter (buy shea butter here)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (make your own with this recipe)
1. Place carrier oil, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter in a glass bowl or measuring cup inside a saucepan. The saucepan should have enough water in it that the water touches the bottom of your glass double boiler, but doesn’t spill out.
2. Over medium heat, stir the ingredients together until they are melted and combined. It will take a little while for the beeswax to melt.
3. Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
4. Fill your desired container(s) with the homemade lotion and allow to come to room temperature.
5. The lotion will have a balm-like consistency when it cools. If you prefer a creamier homemade lotion-like feel, simply beat it for a minute with a hand mixer.
Homemade Lotion Notes
This homemade lotion recipe makes enough lotion to fill one of these 4 oz mason jars perfectly. If you'd like to make more for gifts, simply double or triple the recipe.
Homemade lotion will keep about 3 months at room temperature, but as it contains coconut oil may soften in warm weather. If this happens, just put it in the refrigerator.
For more healthy beauty products you can make at home, click here.