Garlic is well known as a natural health remedy that has long been used to treat various ailments. It is extremely easy to source in most countries and can be consumed cooked or fresh. It is most easily included in your food or can be eaten on its own. You don’t need to limit yourself to fresh garlic either. Garlic powder or dried garlic flakes are just as effective and super easy to keep in the cupboard for everyday use.
As you will see from the list below, as well as being a tasty addition to almost every cooked dish, garlic has some amazing abilities to help in our everyday lives. When used for medicinal purposes, garlic can help to treat a wide variety of ailments as well as making your dinner taste amazing.
1. Garlic strengthens the immune system as well as helps to fight chest infections, coughs and congestion. In the winter months garlic is a great food to boost your immune system and ward off colds and flu. An old folk remedy is to eat a clove of garlic that has been dipped in honey at the first sign of a cold. Why not try it and see if it works for you?
2. Garlic contains high levels of iodine which makes it a very effective treatment for hyperthyroid conditions. Treatment with garlic has been shown to greatly improve this condition.
3. Impotency has long been thought to benefit from doses of garlic, and treatment continues in many communities to this day. Why not try treating yourself with garlic for several months before you head off to the doctor for that Viagra prescription?
4. Cardiovascular disease can be reduced by ingesting garlic. LDL cholesterol is no friend of garlic and the aortic plaque deposits that gather on the walls of your body’s veins can be reduced with the use of garlic too. Studies have shown the amazing benefits of taking garlic in relation to heart disease.
5. Fungal and bacterial vaginal infections are toast when treated with garlic! When crushed or bruised, garlic releases Allicin which is a sulphuric compound that is a natural antibiotic. WWI soldiers even apparently used crushed garlic on infected wounds suffered in battle. If you decide to take garlic in tablet form be sure to use powdered capsules. The processes used to create garlic tablets destroy the Allicin that is present.
6. Garlic is a great source of vitamin B6 which is needed for a healthy immune system and the efficient growth of new cells. Vitamin B6 can also assist with mood swings and improve your cheery disposition!
7. Garlic can aid in the prevention of multiple types of cancer. Bladder cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and stomach cancer have all been shown to have their tumors reduced when treated with garlic. Vitamin B6 is said to have cancer fighting abilities.
8. Garlic regulates blood sugar as it enhances the level of insulin in the blood. This may assist in the control of diabetes. Seek medical advice if you believe the use of garlic could help your condition.
Favorite Healthy Garlic Recipes
- Garlic Ginger Brussels Sprouts
- Citrus Garlic Marinated Steak
- Shrimp with Garlic and Artichokes
- Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Mash
- Sneaky Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Bacon and Garlic
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Lacto Fermented Garlic Aioli
- Three Cheese Garlic Marinara
- Compound Garlic Butter with Smashed Potatoes
- Garlic Kale Saute
- Garlic Beef Stuffed Peppers
- Fermented Garlic
- Rosemary and Garlic Braised Oxtail
- Garlic Shrimp
- Homemade Buttermilk Garlic Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Cauliflower Leek Soup with Garlic
- Serrano and Garlic Aioli
- Pickled Garlic
- Black Garlic Chocolate Donuts
- Garlic Tea for Coughs and Sore Throats
- Garlic Salve for Coughs and Colds