A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies we can do to facilitate our body's natural detoxification system.
In this day and age, our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever.
Toxins are in the air we breathe, the food we eat, the medications we take and in the water we drink. Toxins cause irritation, harm and destruction in the body if left unchecked.
Detoxification is the body's way of removing and metabolizing these dangerous compounds. It is a process the body does naturally without us even knowing it. However, the capacity of the body's detoxification process is not endless.
A detox bath encourages the body to efficiently flush out toxins.
Our toxic burden is a result of the toxins we are exposed to and our body's ability to naturally detox. The more toxins we are exposed to, the harder the body has to work at eliminating these toxins.
The list of toxins that could potentially harm our bodies is almost endless; many start their day with a hot shower, the water is contaminated with pollutants, the soap and shampoo is full of chemicals, the toothpaste has fluoride, from there we may have breakfast where the food has been treated with pesticides or even genetically modified.
We haven't even left our house, yet we have been exposed to toxins that can potentially cause ill-health.
Even more alarming is our exposure to toxic substances is on the rise:
- 2,100 toxins, including pesticides, herbicides, PCBs, and medications have been found in our water supply
- 80,000 metric tons of carcinogens are released into the air annually in North America
- Over 80% of food have genetically modified ingredients
- The EPA estimates the average US citizen has residues from over 400 toxic compounds in their body
- 82,000 chemicals are in use today in the US, but only a fourth have ever been tested for toxicity
While it is impossible to abolish our exposure to all toxins, we can reduce unnecessary exposure, as well as improve our body's efficiency and ability to eliminate them.
Taking a detox bath, not only boosts our health and well-being, but it also strengthens our immune system and prevents disease.
When metabolic waste from toxins builds up in our body, we get sick. Functional medicine expert, Dr. Mark Hyman, puts it this way, “problems with detoxification is one root of illness. If you feel lousy, it’s likely you’re toxic.”
It is important to enhance our body's ability to detoxify and get rid of the waste, meanwhile minimizing our exposure to toxins. This is imperative for excellent health, as many of today's modern diseases are related to toxicity.
The liver removes toxins and metabolic waste from the body by converting them to water-soluble compounds.
Once water-soluble they can be eliminated from the body through urine. Some waste products are not water-soluble and are transformed by the liver and excreted in the bile. The bile is then transported to the intestines where it exits the body through our bowels.
Toxins not eliminated or completely removed by either of these processes may be eliminated through our skin via our sweat.
A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies that can be done to facilitate and enhance our body's natural detoxification process.
- Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
- Help muscles and nerves function properly
- Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
- Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
- Make insulin more effective
- Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
- Improve oxygen use
- Flush toxins
- Improve absorption of nutrients
- Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
- Help prevent or ease migraine headaches
How to Draw a Detox Bath
2. Ideally, you want the water quite hot as we are looking to create a nice sweat.
3. If your bath water is not filtered, add 1 cup of baking soda as this helps neutralize the chemicals, primarily chlorine, as well as increase mineral absorption.
4. Immerse yourself in the water, all the way up to your neck. You want as much of your body underwater as you can. Close your eyes, do some breathing exercises and soak for at least 20 minutes.
5. Once you are done soaking, rise out of the tub very slowly and cautiously. You may feel a little dizzy and light-headed, this will go away as you shower off quickly in cool water.
6. It is important not to use harsh soaps or shampoos as your pores are open and will just absorb the chemicals found in those products.
8. Do not eat immediately before or after taking a detox bath.
9. Instead hydrate yourself with filtered water before and after.
10. Allow time after your bath to rest and rejuvenate.
Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse
Three Weeks to Vitality: The Ultimate Cleanse is a 21-day whole foods-based holistic detox program. There is no fasting or funny stuff — just good, clean, whole foods!
This program is designed to help people lose weight, learn about liver detox and why it's so important to cleanse in our toxic world, break sugar cravings, increase energy, get clear skin, get better sleep, decrease pain and inflammation and improve digestion.
Are you ready to feel better and improve your health in just 21 days?