A few weeks back, Tom and I went out for brunch at an award-winning restaurant here in downtown Minneapolis.
One of the menu items we oohed and ahhed over was a gluten-free cinnamon coffee cake.
Oh my word, was it ever good.
I bet Tom that I could make my own version that was just as good AND eliminate the sugar and carbs.
So, I did.
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 2 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Minute
Yields: 1 Serving
A healthy alternative to cinnamon coffee cake.
- 1/4 c Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 T Vanilla Protein Powder (I use this one)
- 1 T Sugar-Free Sweetener (I use this one)
- Pinch of Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 t Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Cinnamon
- 1/2 T Butter
- 1 lg Egg
- 2 T Water
- In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- To a 4-inch ramekin, add butter and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Rotate the ramekin to coat the sides with melted butter then add butter, egg, and water to dry ingredients.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into ramekin and microwave* for 45-50 seconds on high.
- Remove from microwave and sprinkle top with a bit more cinnamon and sweetener.
- Let cool and enjoy.
*Or bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. In my experience, it does not rise as much when baked.
Recipe, as written, is gluten and sugar-free. Great for my low-carb and keto friends. If also dairy-free, experiment with vanilla pea protein instead of whey and replace butter with coconut oil. You want this to be slightly underdone for best texture.
Join the Conversation
Join the conversation over on Facebook.