Looking for some creative ways to get more vegetables into your diet? How about trying healthy Eggplant Pizza Rounds. I topped my guys with a homemade red sauce, some spiced up shredded chicken, sun dried tomatoes, black olives and raw goat cheese. You can top with whatever toppings you choose!
Eggplant is a great source of soluble fiber, vitamins B1 and B6 as well as potassium, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, niacin and folic acid. The pretty purple skin of the eggplant contains a potent antioxidant called nasunin which has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage, brain cells in particular.
It is often recommended to tenderize eggplant to reduce some of its bitter taste by salting it. After cutting the eggplant into the desired shape, sprinkle with salt and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes. This pulls out some of the eggplant’s water content and along with it, some of the bitter components.
Eggplant Pizza Rounds
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
- Slice eggplant into 12 uniform rounds, 1/4-1/2″ thick.
- Lay rounds on a sheet of parchment paper lined with paper towels.
- Prick both sides with fork and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to draw out the bitterness and water.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lay out eggplant rounds and brush with a little melted ghee or butter.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, flip over, brush again and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add toppings and return to oven for a final 10 minutes.