If you are not a fan of the Healthy Living How To Facebook Page, you should be! I know a few of my FB Friends have been waiting for today's post, after I posted the Healthy Chicken with Mushroom Cauli Rice picture on Facebook, on Saturday. I quickly threw together this recipe after a long afternoon of errands and grocery shopping. While my boys put away the groceries and other odds and ends, I made a quick one pan meal. I did not “measure” any of the ingredients, so will do my best to recap how I made this meal! To quote my husband, “Rice-A-Roni ain't got nothing on this.”
Real Food vs. Fake Food
Ingredients Cauliflower, Chicken Breast, Bacon Fat**, Mushrooms*, Onion*, Garlic*, Celtic Sea Salt, Black Pepper.*Fresh
** Adds Flavor and NO Trans FatsContains No Wheat, No Soy, No Milk
REAL FOOD VS. FAKE FOOD
Ingredients Rice, Wheat Flour, Durum Wheat Semolina, Salt, Mushrooms*, Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil**, Sugar, Autolyzed Yeast Extract*, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Onions*, Corn Syrup*, Monosodium Glutamate, Natural Flavor, Dextrose, Chicken Broth*, Chicken Fat, Turmeric Spice which Imparts Color, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Sodium Caseinate, Parsley*, Garlic*, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Turmeric Extract, Thiamin Mononitrate, Soy Lecithin, Folic Acid, Riboflavin.*Dried
**Adds A Dietarily Insignificant Amount of Trans FatContains Wheat, Soy and Milk IngredientsSource: Rice-A-Roni
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. Organic Chicken Breasts
- 4 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
- 1 Medium Organic Cauliflower
- 1 Punnet Organic Baby Portabellos
- 1 Small Organic Yellow Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Celtic Sea Salt & Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- First things first, you want to “rice” the cauliflower. It's really simple, all you do is grate it using a cheese grater. Grate it all the way to the stem.
- Next, finely chop the onion and slice the mushrooms and as long as your are at it, go ahead and cut up the chicken breasts into bite size chunks.
- To a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. bacon grease on medium-high heat until hot. To this add the cauliflower rice and onion. Fry the rice until tender, mixing frequently.
- Once rice is complete, remove from pan and set aside, next up we need to cook the chicken.
- Cook up chicken breasts in 2 Tbsp. bacon grease and leave it in the pan.
- Add cauliflower rice to the cooked chicken breasts along with mushrooms and heat through until mushrooms are soft. At this point you can add a little more bacon grease if necessary.
- Remove from heat, add one clove of crushed garlic, salt & pepper to taste.
*If you don't regularly make bacon and save the bacon grease, start now. For this recipe, you could simply fry up 4-6 strips of Uncured Bacon and then use the grease to make the recipe. Use the bacon to top each plateful of Chicken and Mushroom Cauli Rice.
Two More “Cauli” Rice Recipes You May Like…..
If you are unsure about how “Healthy” bacon is…..
Check out this article written by my friend & Registered Dietitian, Anika DeCoster