Crisp, crumble or a pie with the crust on top, call it whatever you want. I call it amazingly delicious. We've been enjoying organic strawberries the past couple weeks as our co-op has had them on sale. And this last week I spied a large pile of rhubarb on sale.
Strawberries and rhubarb go hand in hand, so you know I threw a few stalks in my cart. As I dreamed of strawberry rhubarb concoctions, I decided I would start with a very basic recipe, a pie with the crust on top and save the muffins and jam making for another day.
I made this recipe in a single serving but it could very easily be multiplied for the masses. I'm working on a dairy-free ice cream recipe for the summer (just testing your patience), so in the meantime, go ahead and top with my dairy-free whipped cream. I couldn't wait to dig my spoon in, plus it made for better photos, so I topped while hot. As you can see the cream melted very fast. No worries though, it was still delicious. This would be fabulous cold, right out of the refrigerator as well. In fact, I might just make another serving to have along my bacon and eggs for breakfast. Perhaps you would like to join me?
Upside Down Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
- 2 oz. Rhubarb
- 2 oz. Strawberries
- 21-28 drops Liquid Vanilla Stevia
- 1 Tbsp. Almond Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Golden Flax Seed Meal
- 2 tsp. Ghee or Butter
- Dice rhubarb and strawberries into even size chunks.
- Put fruit in small glass baking dish and add stevia drops. Stir then set aside.
- In a separate dish, mix together almond flour and flax seed meal.
- Add ghee/butter to flour/meal combo and with a fork work into small crumbles.
- Top fruit with crumbles and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes.
As always, this recipe is gluten-free, no added sugar & low-carb!
Do you LOVE fruit pie? What's your favorite kind?