I'm not a huge pizza lover, but my husband is. And after many years of him enjoying his one and only weekly unhealthy indulgence, he was a little sad when discovering gluten was not his friend. Friday night's just weren't the same without pizza. I am happy to say it's been well over a year since he fell face first into a DiGiorno's thanks to the many pizza variations we've come up with using a healthy, gluten-free, low-carb Flatbread Pizza Crust.
I first discovered this recipe in The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam and then again at her website. Elana is a big fan of the Honeyville brand of blanched almond flour, however, I prefer to use my own homemade unblanched almond flour. I have used both, blanched and unblanched and found my flour results in a more crisp crust as well as a “nuttier” flavor. Your imagination is the limit as to how you top this, currently we are on a Taco Pizza kick.
Adapted from The Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam
- 1 1/2 C. Unblanched Almond Flour
- 1 Large Organic Pastured Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Set aside large baking sheet.
- Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of baking sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients first then add egg and olive oil. Mix with a fork until it comes together into a ball.
- Place dough between parchment paper and with a rolling pin, roll to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove top piece of parchment and set crust along with the bottom piece of parchment onto baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, add toppings and return to oven to warm.
Taco Pizza Toppings
- Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
- Salsa Mixed with Sour Cream
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Queso Blanco (Mexican Cheese)