Today is your day! The long-awaited recipe for Carrot Cake is here.
HEALTHY CARROT CAKE
Gluten-Free. Dairy-Free. Sugar-Free. Low-Carb.
Carrot Cake is by far my most favorite dessert. I share this affinity with my friend Nate, who has tested and given his nod of approval for this version of Healthy Carrot Cake. In addition to testing Nate's taste buds, I sent a test batch to work with my husband, where a team of Registered Dietitians gave this two thumbs up. In fact I was told two of the RDs were paying each other off for the last cupcake. My handsome husband, who in the past had claimed to dislike carrot cake, said this is by far the best dessert he's had, healthy or otherwise and my 15 yr. old, Brodrick, has asked me on several occasions to make these cupcakes.
I must give credit where credit is due, as the original recipe is not mine, but belongs to The Chicken Lady from the Low Carb Friends forum. I made a few minor changes, using stevia instead of Splenda, coconut milk instead of sour cream, chose coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and topped with my Almond Cream Cheese Frosting. I also cut the recipe in half and made cupcakes for better portion control and cuteness. Several other Healthy Carrot Cake aficianados have adapted this recipe to suit their needs as well, like subbing unsweetened applesauce for the oil or pecan meal instead of almond flour, etc. You can check out the original recipe and comment thread at Low Carb Friends.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Original Recipe by The Chicken Lady
Adapted by Healthy Living How To
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 22-25 minutes
Makes: 1 Dozen Cupcakes
- 2 c. Homemade Unblanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 c. Smart Sweet Erythritol Non-GMO
- 1/2 tsp. NuNaturals Pure White Stevia Extract Powder
- 1 tsp. Rumford Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp. Nutiva Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin, Organic, Melted
- 2 Large Organic Eggs
- 1/4 c. Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk
- 4-6 oz. Finely Shredded & Chopped Organic Carrots
- 1/2 c. Pecans, Chopped
- 1 Recipe Almond Cream Cheese Frosting
- In medium mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- In small mixing bowl, with electric mixer on medium beat together vanilla, eggs and coconut milk for 30 seconds.
- Add wet to dry and while beating together drizzle in coconut oil. Beat for about 1 minute.
- With large spoon fold in chopped pecan and carrots.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray with non-stick spray.
- Fill each cup evenly, about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350°F for 22-25 minutes.
- Completely cool on wire rack before frosting.
- Store in refrigerator, serve at room temperature.
This recipe uses almond flour. If you don't want to go to the lengths I do to make your own, go ahead and buy it. Be sure to visit My Favoritespage and support Healthy Living How To if you are going to be doing any online shopping. I use my VitaMix to finely chop whole carrots, you could also buy pre-shredded carrots and then run a knife through them or use a food processor. I measure the pecans whole and then chop.