I think every family makes the classic Ramen Noodle Coleslaw Salad. Do you know what is in the Ramen Noodle seasoning packet? A lot of brain damaging MSG for starters. Do me a favor, make this salad instead. You and everyone you serve it to will not only have a healthier brain, they will have a happy tummy as well. Make a double batch though, because it is really that good!
This version of coleslaw salad has an Asian flair, as the dressing is made with soy sauce (or Coconut Aminos if avoiding soy) and sesame oil. We like it a little spicy with the addition of red pepper flakes. I have served this both as a side salad and an entrée, by adding chicken.
A few weeks back, my in-laws were in town and I made this as an entrée for dinner along with a pitcher of iced tea. I chose the longer route, and used both of my new gadgets, the VitaMix & Fagor Pressure Cooker to make it. Let's get to cooking!
- 2-3 lbs. Organic Whole Chicken
- 1 1/2 c. Water
Rinse and pat dry chicken. In the cooker add water and trivet for pan. Place bird in the pan with handles up and then in the cooker. Cover. Turn stove on high, wait for the “pressure button” to pop up, reduce stove heat to med-low and set the timer for 25 minutes. Yes in 25 minutes you will have a perfectly steamed, moist whole chicken. Let cool on counter so you can dig in with your hands and get all the meat off the bones! Save the carcass, skin and all the remains, it makes delicious broth!
- 1 Small Head Green Cabbage
- 1 Small Head Purple Cabbage
Cut each cabbage into 8 sections. Put cabbage in VitaMix (do in a couple batches as to not overload the canister), add water until cabbage “floats” off blade. Set to high and Pulse 2-3 times. Drain. That's it. Done!
- 1 Small Pkg. Sliced Almonds
On a lined baking sheet bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes. Watch carefully as they go from brown to burned very fast.
- 1/4 c. San-J Gluten Free Non-GMO Organic Soy Sauce OR Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar OR Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Spectrum Naturals Toasted Unrefined Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Crushed Red Pepper
- 12 drops NuNaturals Clear Liquid Stevia
I think you can handle this, as you can see from the picture, I used my glass Pyrex measuring cup and just whisked together.
- In a nice salad bowl add coleslaw.
- Dress coleslaw with dressing and refrigerate for 15 minutes up to 1 hour.
- Upon serving, add chicken if serving as an entrée, and top with toasted almonds.
(You can add some extra crunch by adding a couple of ribs of chopped celery. Want to add a little onion flair? Add a 4-5 sliced green onions. These are optional flavor add-ins.)