I love blueberry muffins. I love pumpkin muffins. I love cranberry muffins. So I ask, why not grapefruit muffins… it may be a stretch, but since grapefruits are in season, I thought why not give it a go. Not only did they turn out beautiful, they were tasty too! Split in half and slathered with ghee and this was the perfect complement to my healthy eggs, bacon and broccoli breakfast. I am not going to gush over the healthy virtues of grapefruit, but get right to the recipe. I'll save the gushing for tomorrow, as I have a second grapefruit recipe that I plan to share. So stay tuned…in the meantime enjoy!
As mentioned in the recipe notes, for this recipe we only want the juicy innards of the grapefruit. No peel, no pith and no skin. I simply used a knife to peel and then my fingers to section and remove the skin. If you are unsure how to do this, check out this video.
- 1/4 c. Coconut Flour
- 1/2 c. Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tsp. Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Stevia Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 c. Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Grapefruit Zest
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee, Melted
- 1/2 Medium (5 oz.) Grapefruit, Peeled, Skinned & Pithed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium mixing bowl, sift together coconut flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt and stevia.
- In small mixing bowl whisk together eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract and grapefruit zest.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a spoon then add melted ghee and mix again.
- Finally add grapefruit and mix until even distributed.
- Line muffin tin with unbleached non-stick liners and divide batter between seven muffins.
- Bake 25 minutes or until tops slightly brown.
- Cool completely on rack before serving.
These are slightly sweet and slightly tart just like a grapefruit. We don't want bitter, which means it is important to properly peel the grapefruit and remove all pith as well as skin. We only want the juicy inside. Per Serving 108 calories 8 g fat, 6 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 2 g NET CARBS, 5 g pro