I quit drinking diet pop (yes, we call it pop in Minnesota) almost 2 years ago. It was my last unhealthy vice. I had long given up buying it to have around the house, but inevitably, any time I was out and about, a bottle of Diet Pepsi ended up in my hand. I knew the health dangers of aspartame but like any good junkie, I rationalized my addiction.
On a dare from my husband, I quit, cold turkey.
Since then I've traded in my unhealthy habit for a new healthy one. A love for fermented and probiotic drinks, like kombucha and this sparkling probiotic beverage pictured below.
The only downfall of these drinks is the hefty price tag they sport. It is not uncommon to pay $2.50-$5.00 for a 16 oz. bottle. Yikes!
I started brewing kombucha a couple of months back. This promptly stopped me from picking up a bottle on our weekly grocery shopping trip. However, instead of kombucha, I started imbibing in a bottle of Kevita, a different type of sparkling probiotic drink.
I spotted a new flavor a few weeks back and loved it so much, I decided I could “hack” it. After reading the ingredient label, I thought, “how hard could it be?” The answer to that question, “not hard at all.”
The cool thing about this easy recipe is you can let your taste buds do the talking and adjust the ingredients to suit you. Start with the basic recipe below and then if you:
- Like it spicy, add a little more kick of cayenne.
- Like it tart, add more lemon.
- Like it sharp, add more apple cider vinegar.
- Like it salty, add more Celtic sea salt.
- Like it sweeter, add a few extra drops of stevia.
Wanted to add a note about the drinking ensemble pictured above. My very thoughtful friend, who knows how much I love Mason jars, gifted me with a set of drinking jars with handles along with the cool lid and stainless steel straw. You can find these items on Amazon, just click on the links provided.
- 16 oz. Club Soda or Filtered Water (Chilled)
- Juice from One Lemon
- 1 Tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 pinches Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 10 drops Liquid Stevia
- 1 Probiotic Capsule (Optional)
- To a mixing glass add club soda, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, Celtic sea salt, cayenne pepper and stevia.
- Using stir stick, mix and taste. Adjust if necessary.
- Open probiotic capsule and add to lemonade and mix again.
- Fill two pint glasses with ice and serve lemonade.