My new friend Donella, requested Macaroons, Healthy Living How To style. I made my very first batch this morning and not only are they beautiful to look at, they are so delicious I cannot wait to share them. These even passed the discerning teenager tastebud test, so you know they are yummy!
I know you want me to get to the recipe and I am, I am, just let me give props first. I've never had a macaroon before, healthy or otherwise, so these weren't on my recipe radar. Give Alton Brown a high-five as this is his basic macaroon recipe healthified. I just replaced the sugar and sweetened coconut with healthier alternatives.
If you have a recipe you would like a healthy makeover for, send your request my way, I'm always up for the challenge.
Original Recipe by Alton Brown
Adapted by Healthy Living How To
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 1 Pinch Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 c. Granular Sweetener – for sugar-free I recommend Swerve or Birch Xylitol
- 8 oz. Finely Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Dark Chocolate Bar (optional)
- In a clean stainless steel bowl, with electric beaters, whip egg whites with salt until stiff peaks start to form.
- Add in sweetener and continue to beat until really stiff.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in coconut.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Outside should be golden and inside slightly soft.
- Let macaroons completely cool on rack and then drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.