Pilgrim accent a little bit worse. ♫ Fried ham, fried ham, cheese and bologna and after the macaroni we'll have…… Anyone else sing this camp song? Take two of the Thanksgiving stuffing rehearsal and again we have success!! It's a toss up between the two, I like them both equally, Tom prefers this one. Since I will be serving cranberry relish as well, I think the apple stuffing wins. Noticed I am calling it stuffing instead of dressing? There's a reason, you'll see when you get to the bottom of this post.
As I mentioned in take one of the Dress Rehearsal, I wanted to try a few twists to the Sausage and Cranberry Dressing. First I made the bread cubes with hazelnut flour instead of almond flour, to add a little depth and flavor. Next I swapped out the cranberries (and stevia) for half a medium sized Fuji apple. I picked up some fresh pork sausage and used that instead of the beef and sausage seasoning. Finally, I doubled the poultry seasoning and added some Celtic sea salt.
Hazelnut Bread Cubes
Makes 120 cubes
- 1/2 c. Hazelnut Flour
- 1/4 c. Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tsp. Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 2 pinches Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 Large Organic Eggs
1. In small bowl scramble eggs with a whisk.
2. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients.
3. Add eggs to dry ingredients and mix.
4. Pour into a well-greased mini-loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350° F for 22 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
7. Slice bread into 9 slices and then each slice into 12 cubes.
8. Put cubes on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.
9. Return to oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once, to dry and crisp.
When I make this on Thanksgiving, I will have to, at a minimum quadruple this recipe. My plan stands, I will go with two mini-loaves made with almond flour and two mini-loaves made with hazelnut flour. I loved the flavor the hazelnut flour imparted, however, the bread cubes are very dark and for appearance sake (what can I say, I am vain about my food presentation), the almond flour cubes will lighten the dish up.
Sausage & Apple Stuffing
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. Fresh Ground Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 4 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 1/4 c. Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 Medium Fuji Apple, Chopped
- 1 Recipe of Hazelnut Bread Cubes
- 2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter or Ghee, Melted
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/3 c. Chicken Broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In skillet, brown pork sausage with celery and onion. Drain.
3. In 1 1/2 quart covered casserole dish, add bread cubes, sausage, apple, poultry seasoning and salt.
4. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, butter and broth then pour over stuffing.
5. Bake stuffing covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Cut your squash in half and clean out the innards, lay cut side down in baking dish and cook alongside the stuffing. (Stuffing recipe makes enough to stuff 4 whole delicata squash or 8 halves) Stuff and eat! Don't wait for Thanksgiving to make this seasonal meal……